How do stardates work in Star Trek?

In summary, stardates in Star Trek are a system of measuring time in the fictional universe. They were created as a way to avoid referencing specific dates in the real world and to give a sense of time passing in the show. The formula for calculating stardates is not consistent throughout the series, but they generally represent a combination of date, time, and location. The stardate system has been used in all Star Trek series and films, providing a consistent timeline for the franchise.
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. Does this mean I can get a PhD in Stargate SG1 or Doctor Who?!

I deserve a Ph.D. in Star Trek as I've easily done as much research.

Janus deserves a Nobel Prize!

Well...do PF threads count as published papers?

G01 said:
Probably. But one would have to change majors.

Or get busy and invent a warp drive, worm hole and/or tardis. :biggrin:

G01 said:

You totally could! You could get a PhD in Comparative Science Fiction and cover both shows.

Astronuc said:
Probably. But one would have to change majors.

Or get busy and invent a warp drive, worm hole and/or tardis. :biggrin:

I've had a TARDIS for years! The problem is, I can't find it since my camouflages circuit still works. I have no idea what shape its in. (I'm sure glad no one was around when I tried to make the shower time travel to the year 1823.)

G01 said:
I've had a TARDIS for years! The problem is, I can't find it since my camouflages circuit still works.

Just watch for anything bigger on the inside than on the outside. What's the problem?

Ivan Seeking said:
Just watch for anything bigger on the inside than on the outside. What's the problem?

I have been wondering how I could fit that tennis court in that trash can out back...

Hmmmm...

Is this really the first thesis written about Star Trek?
It seems like a rather "obvious" subject considering how influential the show has been.

I could do with one of those. My career prospects will be significantly broadened.

Kurdt said:
I could do with one of those. My career prospects will be significantly broadened.

Or do you mean limited to Star Trek conventions? Are those things still going on?

G01 said:
I've had a TARDIS for years! The problem is, I can't find it since my camouflages circuit still works. I have no idea what shape its in. (I'm sure glad no one was around when I tried to make the shower time travel to the year 1823.)

Don't worry. I've got a RETARDIS chip implanted in my skull that allows me to see cloaked dimensional anomalies. If your TARDIS is out there I'll find it eventually. I don't think I can help you find the shower you left in 1823. A good metal detector might help.

The tricky part about getiing your PhD in Star Trek is that you have to take your orals in Klingonese.

Janus said:
The tricky part about getiing your PhD in Star Trek is that you have to take your orals in Klingonese.

The thesis defense sounds like it might be a bit more dangerous than usual (if Klingons are involved).

So how 'bout those Romulans? :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
So how 'bout those Romulans? :biggrin:

They supply the ale for the party after a successful defense.

Shoot, and all this time I thought that majoring in astrophysics meant I could say "I'm getting my PhD in Star Trek."

One good idea for a thesis would be an explanation of how time moves and is kept track of in StarTrek. I find the stardates very confusing. Part of this can be chalked up to relativity. Time is passing at different rates for every ship within the Federation Starfleet. Yet, somehow, everyone within the Federation has to resynchronize to some common time or the ships would never know when to meet.

In the original series, stardates ran from 1512.2 to 5928.5.

By time "Star Trek: The Next Generation" starts, stardates are in the 41000+ range with the second digit indicating the season, which doesn't necessarily have to correspond to a year within the show. In fact, an Earth year must be somewhere around 800 to 1000 units per year.

I think they changed the length of a second, as well. It actually makes sense if humanity no longer is constrained to one planet. The idea of leap years becomes very inconvenient, so it becomes easier to extend the length of a second so a day is still 86400 seconds long, but each year is 365.25 days long.

Still, an exact explanation of how stardates work would make the entire series of Star Trek TV shows and movies easier to understand.

1. What is a PhD in Star Trek?

A PhD in Star Trek is an advanced degree that focuses on the study of the science, technology, and culture portrayed in the Star Trek franchise. It combines elements of science, social science, and humanities to analyze and understand the fictional universe created by Gene Roddenberry.

2. How can I obtain a PhD in Star Trek?

To obtain a PhD in Star Trek, you will need to apply and be accepted into a graduate program that offers this degree. You will also need to complete coursework, research, and a dissertation focused on a specific aspect of the Star Trek universe. It is important to note that this degree is not offered by all universities and may have limited availability.

3. What are the benefits of having a PhD in Star Trek?

Having a PhD in Star Trek can open up many career opportunities, such as teaching at the university level, working in the entertainment industry, or conducting research for organizations that utilize science fiction in their work. It also allows you to become an expert in a specific area of the Star Trek universe and contribute to its continued growth and development.

4. Can I get a PhD in Star Trek without having a background in science or academia?

While having a background in science or academia may be beneficial, it is not necessarily a requirement for obtaining a PhD in Star Trek. Many programs welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and value a passion for the subject matter. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in research and critical thinking skills, as well as a deep interest in Star Trek and its themes.

5. Is a PhD in Star Trek a recognized and respected degree?

The recognition and respect for a PhD in Star Trek may vary depending on the field and context. However, this degree is typically recognized and valued within the academic community, especially for those pursuing careers in related fields. It is important to research the reputation and accreditation of the program you are considering to ensure its credibility and relevance in your desired career path.