How Do They Calculate the 9 Degrees in the Force Diagram?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
circuscircus
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/4585/8m1cdhx1.gif

I understood every except, How do they get the 9 degrees in part c?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the components of the resultant of the three forces: using an inverse tangent you should be able to find the angle it makes with the x axis. (Draw a right triangle.)
 
So then is arctan(30/190) 9 degrees?

(I don't have access to a radian calculator right now), also how do they get the 19N?
 
circuscircus said:
So then is arctan(30/190) 9 degrees?
Yes.
(I don't have access to a radian calculator right now), also how do they get the 19N?
You don't need a radian calculator. (If ever you don't have a calculator handy, Google has one.)

The 19 N makes no sense. But the components are close enough, so you should be able to figure the magnitude properly from that.
 
So the real F is sqrt(130^2+30^2) am I correct?
 
circuscircus said:
So the real F is sqrt(130^2+30^2) am I correct?
Where did the 130 come from?