How Do Two Balls Meet Mid-Air When Thrown at Different Times and Heights?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Arshad_Physic
Messages
50
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A ball is thrown with an upward velocity of 5 m/s from the top of a 10-m high building. One second later, another ball is thrown vertically from the ground with a velocity of 10m/s. Determine the height from the ground where the two balls bass each other.

Homework Equations



1) v=vot + at
2) s=so + vot + 0.5at2
3) v2 = vo2 + 2a(s-so)

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that this is a basic physics problem. I have taken University Physics 1 before, and made an A, but I am stuck in this problem lol.

I am assuming that we do something like y1=y2 and then just solve the equation, get time. And then plug the time in. Or we can do t1=t2

But I am having problem making the equations.

I did this:

y1=vo1t1 + 0.5at12

Vo1 = 5 m/s
a = 9.8 m/s2

y2=vo2t2 + 0.5at22

t1 = t2 - 1

vo2 = 10 m/s

The problem is, my t1 is coming out to be -11/7 Lol :)

Please help!

Thanks,
Arshad
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
y1 doesn't equal y2. The ball is being thrown from the building so their displacements will be different.