Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do we know for sure that technology will continue to advance?

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    In both Hardware and Software?
    Does anybody see technology reaching its limit?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2
    it's called the bomb...and it's coming 0-0

but if we somehow reach the "startrek" point... I'd imagine we'd figure out how to "crack" the universe, if possible, and use and manipulate matter/energy in rawest forms :3

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    Well, in the original question I meant stopping before 2050... which some of us may find shocking

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[shakes his magic 8 ball] "Ask again later."

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No. I don't see how that's possbile, unless either:
    1] We stop (deliberately or inadvertantly).
    2] We attain god-like abilities.

What?? Are you drunk?

7. Oct 6, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you have a problem there, Russ. I got "Outlook not so good," and I just got my 8 ball calibrated.

8. Oct 6, 2009 #7
    :rofl:I just dropped mine and one of the puppies ran off with it and the other puppy knocked it down the stairs. Is it bad luck to break your magic 8 ball?:eek:

9. Oct 6, 2009 #8
    The future is going to be friggin' awesome with invisible cars, floating schools, and sham-wow!

No, but the little people living there and making the results will want revenge.

10. Oct 6, 2009 #9
    Little people died after the crash. :uhh:

11. Oct 6, 2009 #10
    Bad puppy!

On a serious note, how much new technology is still sitting on the shelf?

I think that cost will be the only thing that slows the advancement of technology in the future.

12. Oct 6, 2009 #11

Evo

There is so much "technology" that isn't available to the public yet, it would boggle your mind. The technology for DSL was invented in the 1970's, the technology for cell phones back in the 1940's, just because it's not a product on the market doesn't mean it's not known. Also, new technology is built open old technology in many cases, you take a piece of something and create something new from it. We have enough known technology right now to be putting out new products for decades.

13. Oct 6, 2009 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is the problem I see. 400yrs ago you became a research grade scientist by reading a handful of books. That is all there was, you could learn enough to be "state of the art" is a summer. Now it takes 12 yrs of elementary education to get ready for 8 to 12 yrs of university work. So now it takes more like 20yrs of education to be come "state of the art". This combined with the trend that most major breakthroughs are made by the 25 - 35 age group does seem to but a limit on our ability to advance technology. Just when will these factors kick in? Get out the magic 8 ball.

14. Oct 6, 2009 #13
    That is true just look at military planes:
    B-52H 1962
    B-1A 1970
    B-2 1987
    F-117A 1982
    F-16 1979
    And the list goes on with the newest most advanced aircraft (declassified) being the F-35 coming out in 1999

On the civilian side:
    Boeing 777 1994
    Boeing 747 1969
    Airbus A380 2005
    Aérospatiale-BAC Concorde 1969

All of these dates are test plane flight date.

Just think most of the planes that are in the air were designed when slide rules were king, and also have blueprints (gasp).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
  15. Oct 6, 2009 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Really? I've always wondered about the mapping of the past onto the present.

It always seemed to me that the Wright Brothers could do groundbreaking scince in their garage, but that could never occur nowadays? Or is it an illusion casued by being too close? Another century and they'll be looking back in astonishment at what we could do in a small warehouse with a few inspired guys.

Youth fashion trends, music, kids' counter-culture, etc. They all seem to change, but the changes are a constant. A mapping of patterns over time.

I wish there was a name of this kind of study. It keeps coming up in my life and I don't know what to call it.

16. Oct 6, 2009 #15
    We're no where close to even 'average' technology...considerer the best processor in the market consuming ~125 - 150W...where as it should consume none...the reason why technology is progressing sooo fast cause right now we're bad at it.

17. Oct 6, 2009 #16

Evo

The recent Nobel prize reminded me that Bell Labs was responsible for so many technological discoveries. Sad that it was broken up and the funding dried up. Kao, Boyle and Smith were working for Bell Labs when they did their work.

18. Oct 6, 2009 #17
    Things will keep improving because we don't know what's coming next.

No one ever knew about plasmas and LCD TVs in the 50s, and look at the times now.

It's a really weak example I know, but all it takes is one nerd out there to discover something and then to publish it after fighting for grant money to change the world and make it a more technologically advanced place.

Brb working on my ray gun.

19. Oct 6, 2009 #18
    There was a higher up for patents in the early 1900's who said all the inventions that would be had already been made. That was before airplanes, radios, etc :rolleyes:

Just like a record player repeats itself, so does history.

It requires more assumptions to say that technology won't continue than to say that it will. If I put my keys into the car ignition, I can't know for sure that it'll start, only that it has in the past. Believing that it'll start again requires an extra assumption compared to saying "I don't know". However, it requires even more assumptions to say the car will not start.

20. Oct 6, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why would a record repeat itself?

21. Oct 6, 2009 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe he meant an 8-track tape.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook