How Do You Apply Kirchhoff's Rules to a Series Circuit with Multiple Resistors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elbobo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Elbobo
Messages
145
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3182/73661395nq3.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img165/73661395nq3.jpg/1/


Homework Equations


V = IR


The Attempt at a Solution


I got the first part right, but the second part eludes me.

V = IR
I = V/R
I = 46.3 / 7.05
I = 6.567375887 A

Which seems way too simple and wrong anyway.
I'm not really sure how to analyze the voltage or the current when it splits at the 1.75 and 7.05 ohm junction. How would I apply Kirchoff's rules here?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arriving at that junction the current sees a 7.05 Ohm resistor (R1) and a resistance RAB (R2) which you calculated already.
So the current will split as I1*R1 = I2*R2
You know R1 and R2.
You know I1 + I2 = TotalCurrent.
And you know TotalCurrent = Voltage/RAB