How Do You Apply the Raising Operator to Find Y^{2}_{2}(\theta, \phi)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Rahmuss
Messages
222
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In Problem 4.3 you showed that

[tex]Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = -\sqrt{15/8\pi} sin\theta cos\theta e^{i\phi}[/tex]

Apply the raising operator to find [tex]Y^{2}_{2}(\theta , \phi)[/tex]. Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization.


Homework Equations



[Eq. 4.121] [tex]A^{m}_{l} = \hbar \sqrt{l(l + 1) - m(m \pm 1)} = \hbar \sqrt{(l \mp m)(l \pm m +1)}[/tex].


The Attempt at a Solution



So, I think my problem, in part, is that I don't know what they mean when they say "Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization." So, with that in mind I did try something; but it seems too simple:

[tex]L_{+} Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = \epsilon \sqrt{\frac{(2l + 1)(l - |(m+1)|)\fact}{4\pi(l + |(m+1)|)\fact}} e^{i(m+1)\phi} P^{(m+1)}_{l}(x)[/tex]

So, everywhere I have just [tex]m[/tex], I add one to it, which really just gives me the formula for [tex]Y^{2}_{2}[/tex]. Then solving it is simple. So I must not be understanding the question properly. And I don't see what equation 4.121 has to do with anything. I'm used to noramlization being something like:

[tex]1 = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|\psi|^{2} dx[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rahmuss said:

Homework Statement


In Problem 4.3 you showed that

[tex]Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = -\sqrt{15/8\pi} sin\theta cos\theta e^{i\phi}[/tex]

Apply the raising operator to find [tex]Y^{2}_{2}(\theta , \phi)[/tex]. Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization.


Homework Equations



[Eq. 4.121] [tex]A^{m}_{l} = \hbar \sqrt{l(l + 1) - m(m \pm 1)} = \hbar \sqrt{(l \mp m)(l \pm m +1)}[/tex].


The Attempt at a Solution



So, I think my problem, in part, is that I don't know what they mean when they say "Use Equation 4.121 to get the normalization." So, with that in mind I did try something; but it seems too simple:

[tex]L_{+} Y^{1}_{2}(\theta , \phi) = \epsilon \sqrt{\frac{(2l + 1)(l - |(m+1)|)\fact}{4\pi(l + |(m+1)|)\fact}} e^{i(m+1)\phi} P^{(m+1)}_{l}(x)[/tex]

So, everywhere I have just [tex]m[/tex], I add one to it, which really just gives me the formula for [tex]Y^{2}_{2}[/tex]. Then solving it is simple. So I must not be understanding the question properly. And I don't see what equation 4.121 has to do with anything. I'm used to noramlization being something like:

[tex]1 = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|\psi|^{2} dx[/tex]

First step:

[itex]L_+ Y^1_2[/itex] is equal to what? It's equal to some constant times [itex]Y_2^2[/itex], right? What is that constant?
 
You mean the whole:

[tex]\hat{Q}f(x) = qf(x)[/tex]

If that's what you mean, then I guess it would just be:

[tex]L_{+}Y^{1}_{2} = lY^{2}_{2}[/tex]

? Is that right?
Earlier on the chapter discusses

[tex]L^{2}f_{t} = \lambda f_{t}[/tex]

But it doesn't apply the [tex]L_{+}[/tex] operator.
 
Last edited:
Rahmuss said:
You mean the whole:

[tex]\hat{Q}f(x) = qf(x)[/tex]

If that's what you mean, then I guess it would just be:

[tex]L_{+}Y^{1}_{2} = lY^{2}_{2}[/tex]

? Is that right?
Earlier on the chapter discusses

[tex]L^{2}f_{t} = \lambda f_{t}[/tex]

But it doesn't apply the [tex]L_{+}[/tex] operator.

Of course, Y^1_2 is NOT an eigenstate of L_+ so you can't use the eigenvalue equation.

What I mean is : use equation 4.121 to figure out the constant! That's what 4.121 is for! To figure out the constant generated when applying the raising or lowering operators!
 
Ah, ok. I understand (I hope).

So, with Eq. 4.121 goes to:

[tex]A^{2}_{2} = \hbar \sqrt{2(2+1) - 2(2\mp 1}[/tex] ---->

[tex]A^{2}_{2} = \hbar \sqrt{6 - 2} = 2\hbar[/tex]

The other leads to zero, so I guess I can throw that out.

So, if I understood correctly the first step is done?

[tex]L_{+} Y^{1}_{2} = 2\hbar Y^{2}_{2}[/tex] ?

Or do I just say:

[tex]\frac{L_{+} Y^{1}_{2}}{2\hbar} = Y^{2}_{2}[/tex]