How Do You Calculate Amplitude and Wave Velocity from a Wave Equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chomsky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Waves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
chomsky
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


My professor has given us a pset with this problem:

A plane mechanical wave is represented by the equation [itex]y = 30 sin(30\pi t + 0.03 \pi x)[/itex]
Where [itex]y[/itex] is measured in cm, [itex]x[/itex] is measured in metres and time [itex](t)[/itex] is measured in seconds. Find
(i)amplitude of particle velocity
(ii)wave-velocity


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


While I know how to find (ii), I don't know how to find out (i). Can somebody please tell me ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
chomsky said:

Homework Statement


My professor has given us a pset with this problem:

A plane mechanical wave is represented by the equation [itex]y = 30 sin(30\pi t + 0.03 \pi x)[/itex]
Where [itex]y[/itex] is measured in cm, [itex]x[/itex] is measured in metres and time [itex](t)[/itex] is measured in seconds. Find
(i)amplitude of particle velocity
(ii)wave-velocity


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


While I know how to find (ii), I don't know how to find out (i). Can somebody please tell me ?
What are the particles to which the question is referring? What actually moves when the wave passes a location?