How Do You Calculate Average Speed with Variable Acceleration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
YMMMA
Messages
156
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement


In the file below.

Homework Equations


Speed= total distance over total time.
Acceleration = change of speed over time

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I tought it is just E because of the first rule above. But then I doubt my answer since it moved with constant acceleration first then constant speed. However, I don’t see thant any of the choices fit. Can someone help?
 
Attachments
  • ED7D8443-4A91-44E6-9B59-9BAE6814138E.jpeg
    ED7D8443-4A91-44E6-9B59-9BAE6814138E.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the sum of the distances? How much time elapsed in covering those distances?
Hint: for total time, try replacing t1 and t2 with numerical values to get an idea of total time in letter variables.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: YMMMA
Is it not d1+d2 for total distance? Aha, the hint makes this clear; it is just t2.
Next time I will assume some values. Thanks a lot.