How Do You Calculate Choked Flow of Propane Based on Natural Gas Parameters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cjm181
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flow Valve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
cjm181
Messages
68
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement

Calculate the equivalent choked flow of propane through a particular valve if the choked flow of natural gas through it is 10 litres s–1.The relative density* of propane is 1.45 and that natural gas is 0.65.

Homework Equations


Kvf = qv (SQRT d/DeltaP) ...1

d is fluids relative density to water / air
P is pressure

Kvf = (SQRTd) x Kvr ......2

where Kvf is valve coefficient of actual gas,
Kvr reference gas

qvf = qvr (SQRT Pr/Pf) ......3

q is volumetric flow rate
Pr is density of ref gas
Pf density of actual gas

qvf = qvr (SQRT 1/d)

The Attempt at a Solution



Not really sure where to start with this. The confusion is because I am comparing a gas (propane) to another gas other than air.

I know I need to find qvf. I am a bit lost with this. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me a hint please?

Kr
Craig
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer is:
qvf = qvr (SQRT 1/d)
=10 * (SQRT 1/1.45)
=10 * 0.83
=8.03litres/s

Is this correct? I think this works because the equation uses densities relative to air.

I am worried because I have an example of a similar question that uses the above, only it states the chocked flow is with air. What the concern is the equation does not use the density of natural gas. So I am thinking this formula is tied to air as the reference gas. so should I use this formula?

qvf = qvr (SQRT Pr/Pf)
=10 (SQRT 0.65/1.45)
=6.70litres/s.

The answer of 6.7 looks better to me, given the density of NG is 0.65 and Propane 1.45.

Are any of these correct?

Thanks
 
hello, did you ever figure out if either the 6.7litre/s or 8.03litre/s is correct? I am at exactly the same point as you and unsure which value to use