How do you calculate moles and ions in an aqueous lithium nitrate solution?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter brandon1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aqueous Ions Moles
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 18K views
brandon1
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
How many moles and numbers of ions of each type are present in the following aqueous solutions?

3.26 L of a solution containing 6.96 x 10^21 formula units of lithium nitrate per liter

I got 1.16e-2 mols of Li and NO3 as well as 6.99e21 ions for each. The software I am using (webassign) says it is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

First, I found the number of moles of the total was 1.16e-2 moles. Since the two ions are in a 1:1 ratio, should they not be the same as the total? Or am I supposed to use the 3.26L in there somewhere?EDIT: I found what I did wrong. I didn't see the per liter at the end
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3.26 L = 3.26 [tex]dm^3[/tex]

There is approx [tex]6.02 \times10^{23}[/tex] "formula units" in a mole

[tex]\frac{6.96 \times10^{21}}{6.02 \times10^{23}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{6.96}{6.02} \times 10^{21-23}[/tex]

[tex]1.16 \times 10^{-2}[/tex] moles

[tex][LiNO_{3}] = \frac{1.16\times10^{-2}}{3.26} mol dm^{-3}[/tex]

Is the answer ~ 0.003?

Do you have to take dissociation constant into account?
 
Last edited: