How Do You Calculate Resistance and Current in a Carbon Block Using Ohm's Law?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
LeakyFrog
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A block of carbon is 3cm long and has a square cross section whose sides are .5cm long. A potential difference of 8.4V maintained across its length.
a)What is the resistance of the block?
b)What is the current in this resistor?


Homework Equations


R=pL/A
where p is resistivity


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm fairly certain i can solve this problem right quick if I could understand what exactly the block looked like. The description just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure if you can draw pictures on this or not but a picture would be helpful if someone can make one. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've read the block is a cuboid. Imagine a square that's 0.5cm by 0.5cm, now stretch that back in the third dimension by 3cm, and Bob's your uncle. A similar shape to a packet of gum.

Juicy+fruit.gif