How Do You Calculate Rope Tension with Friction and Constant Velocity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PerSempre
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rope Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
PerSempre
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The block moves at 2.3 m/s to the left (on a flat, horizontal surface). If μk, the coefficient of friction between the block and the floor, is .40, what is the tension in the rope? Also, the weight of the block is 9.8 N

Homework Equations



No equations were given... but I used Fk=μkFn

The Attempt at a Solution


2.3=.40Fn
Fn=5.75?
I googled how to find tension.. Some told me I needed three components: Ff, Fn, and Fg and some gave an acceleration for gravity. I don't understand how to go about this problem :/
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PerSempre said:

Homework Statement


The block moves at 2.3 m/s to the left (on a flat, horizontal surface). If μk, the coefficient of friction between the block and the floor, is .40, what is the tension in the rope? Also, the weight of the block is 9.8 N
What rope? Is there a rope pulling this block? Is the speed constant? What does that tell you?

No equations were given... but I used Fk=μkFn
You'll need that to figure out the friction force.

The Attempt at a Solution


2.3=.40Fn
Fn=5.75?
You set a speed (2.3 m/s) equal to a force. That makes no sense! Also, Fn is given! No need to calculate it.

Start by drawing a free body diagram of the block. What forces act? What's the net force on the block?