How Do You Calculate the Decay Constant from Radioactivity Measurements?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
GTBuzz42
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A sample of radioactive isotope is found to
have an activity of 120 Bq imediately after it
is pulled from the reactor that formed the iso-
tope. Its activity 1 h 55 min later is measured
to be 85.8 Bq.
Find the decay constant of the sample. An-
swer in units of h^-1.


Homework Equations



1Bq= 1 decay/sec ln(2)/k= t(half-life)

The Attempt at a Solution



120-85.8/(115*60)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not even close. You'll also want the equation that B0*exp(-k*t)=B1, where B0 in the initial activity, B1 is the final activity, t is the time elapsed and k is the decay constant.
 
That's what you've already said, isn't it? Except for some reason you switched k to lambda.
 
thanks

If I have solved for a Coulomb force between an alpha particle and a carbon nucleus, is there any relations that get to potential energy? I thought energy from that would just be Fr
 
GTBuzz42 said:
thanks

If I have solved for a Coulomb force between an alpha particle and a carbon nucleus, is there any relations that get to potential energy? I thought energy from that would just be Fr

That's pretty vague.