How Do You Calculate the Electric Field at the Origin with Three Charges?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
StrSpeed
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Three charges q1=+2Q q2=-2Q q3=-4Q. are each a distance d from the origin. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the origin.
EqP5Htj.png


I'm getting confused by not having d specified as a number.

Homework Equations


E = Σ kq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution


I've determined the magnitudes of the three E vectors for each charge. I know I cannot algebraically sum them and that I have to use sin/cos to get their components however I don't know where to begin.
Thank you so much for your help!
j1YIAaI.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the components along x and y axes. You know the angle already. Add them according to vector addition rule to get the resultant electric field.