How Do You Calculate the Electric Potential at Point X Relative to Point Y?

  • Thread starter Thread starter phm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
phm
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Point X is 0.25m away from a point charge of +4.7 X 10-8C, point Y is 0.65m away. What is the potential of point X with respect to point Y?


Homework Equations


V= kQ/d


The Attempt at a Solution


I was able to find the potential of X using V=kQ/d with respect to the point charge, which equals 1.7 X 103 V, but I'm not sure as to how to find it with respect to the Y point.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi phm! Welcome to PF! :smile:
phm said:
… I was able to find the potential of X using V=kQ/d with respect to the point charge, which equals 1.7 X 103 V, but I'm not sure as to how to find it with respect to the Y point.

The whole point of having potentials is that they don't depend on path (so they are only defined for conservative forces) …

so the potentials just add and subtract as ordinary scalars (ordinary numbers) …

just like gravitational potential energy! :wink: