What is the electrical potential at point P?

In summary, the electrical potential at point P, relative to infinity, due to three point charges of +6.00 μC, +4.00 μC, and +6.00 μC placed along the x-axis 0.200 m above the +4.00 μC charge is 2.24 × 106 V. The equation for electrical potential is Vp = V1 + V2 + V3, and the correct calculation for this problem is 8.99 x109 ⋅ 6 x 10-6 / 0.2832 + 8.99 x109 ⋅ 4.00 x 10-6 / 0.2002 + 8.99 x
ikihi

Homework Statement

Three point charges of +6.00 μC, +4.00 [/B]μC, and +6.00 μC are placed along the x-axis 0.200 m above the +4.00 μC charge as shown in the figure below. What is the electrical potential at point P (relative to infinity) due to these charges?

Diagram:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6cPxGfU0AA9QMB.jpg:large

Homework Equations

Vp = V1 + V2 + V3
Vp= ##\frac {kQ} {r^2}## + ##\frac {kQ} {r^2}## + ##\frac {kQ} {r^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Vp= ##\frac {kQ} {r^2}## + ##\frac {kQ} {r^2}## + ##\frac {kQ} {r^2}##

Vp= 8.99 x109 ⋅ 6 x 10-6 / 0.2832 + 8.99 x109 ⋅ 4.00 x 10-6 / 0.2002 + 8.99 x109 ⋅ 6 x 10-6 / 0.2832

Vp = 2.24 × 106 V

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your potential Energy defition is wrong It cannot be ##V_p=\frac {kQ} {r^2}##.Think about it.

Likes ikihi
Arman777 said:
Your potential Energy definition is wrong It cannot be ##V_p=\frac {kQ} {r^2}##.Think about it.

I'm not sure what other equation it would be. This is electrical potential (voltage). I know there are 3 charges and there is a distance r for each of them to the point P.

ikihi said:
I'm not sure what other equation it would be. This is electrical potential (voltage). I know there are 3 charges and there is a distance r for each of them to the point P.
You are confusing it with the formula for the field. Your equation is dimensionally wrong.

Likes ikihi
haruspex said:
You are confusing it with the formula for the field. Your equation is dimensionally wrong.

Oh okay I see my error. I squared the r, when it shouldn't be.

ikihi said:
Oh okay I see my error. I squared the r, when it shouldn't be.
Right.
Do you get the right answer now, or can't you tell yet?

haruspex said:
Right.
Do you get the right answer now, or can't you tell yet?

Yes I got the right answer. Thanks.

1. What is electrical potential?

Electrical potential is a measure of the amount of electrical energy that a charged particle possesses at a particular point in an electric field.

2. How is electrical potential measured?

Electrical potential is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field.

3. What is the difference between electrical potential and electric potential energy?

Electrical potential is a measure of the energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

4. What factors affect the electrical potential at a point?

The electrical potential at a point is affected by the amount and distribution of charge, as well as the distance from the source of the electric field.

5. How is electrical potential related to electric fields?

Electrical potential is directly related to electric fields, as the electric field is the gradient of the electrical potential, meaning it indicates the direction and magnitude of the change in potential. In other words, the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential.