How Do You Calculate the Inverse Discrete Fourier Transform Matrix F(hat)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jmomo
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let F be the 4x4 matrix whose (i, j)th entry is 5ij in F_13 for i, j = 0,1,2, 3.
Compute F(hat) and verify that F(hat)F = I


Homework Equations


The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of F.


The Attempt at a Solution


I found that e = 4, so (F)F(hat) = 4 I, so F(1/4 F(hat)) = I
I calculated that matrix F=
1 1 1 1
1 5 12 8
1 12 8 1
1 8 1 5

My Question: How do I calculate matrix F(hat)? I understand it is the inverse of F, but I am unsure of how to calculate it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jmomo said:

Homework Statement


Let F be the 4x4 matrix whose (i, j)th entry is 5ij in F_13 for i, j = 0,1,2, 3.
Does that mean anything to you? Because it doesn't to me.

Compute F(hat) and verify that F(hat)F = I


Homework Equations


The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of F.


The Attempt at a Solution


I found that e = 4, so (F)F(hat) = 4 I, so F(1/4 F(hat)) = I
I calculated that matrix F=
1 1 1 1
1 5 12 8
1 12 8 1
1 8 1 5

My Question: How do I calculate matrix F(hat)? I understand it is the inverse of F, but I am unsure of how to calculate it.
 
Might as well have continued this in your prior post. Now that you have ##F##, the ##i^{th}## row of ##\hat F## has the form:

$$(1, \omega^{-i}, \omega^{-2i}, ..., \omega^{-(e-1)i})$$

Where ##\omega## is the e'th primitive root of unity. I'm sure you can continue.