1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ##

Tags:
  1. Nov 15, 2015 #1

etf

Fourier transform is defined as
    $$F(jw)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)e^{-jwt}dt.$$
    Inverse Fourier transform is defined as
    $$f(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}F(jw)e^{jwt}dw.$$

Let ##f(t)=e^{-at}h(t),a>0##, where ##h(t)## is heaviside function and ##a## is real constant.

Fourier transform of this function is
    $$F(jw)=\int_{0}^{\infty}f(t)e^{-jwt}dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-at}e^{-jwt}dt=\frac{1}{a+jw}$$
    How can I calculate inverse Fourier transform of ##\frac{1}{a+jw}##, ##f(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{a+jw}e^{jwt}dw##?
    Although ##\frac{1}{a+jw}## doesn't look complicated, there is no way I can calculate this integral. Generaly, I have problems calculating inverse FT. Any suggestion?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the reason you want to calculate the inverse FT of your ##F(\omega)##? [BTW: it should be called ##F(\omega)##, not ##F(i \omega)## or ##F(j \omega)##.] You already know how you obtained ##F## from your original function ##f(t)=e^{-at}h(t)##. Are you just trying to practice, to see if you can do the integral and get back your ##f(t)##, or are you fundamentally misunderstanding something about about the subject?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. Nov 16, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's traditional to use the Greek letter omega, ##\omega##, not ##w##. (I hope you don't say "double-u" when you're talking to others, especially your instructor.)

It's straightforward to calculate that integral if you know how to do contour integration in the complex plane. I'm guessing you probably haven't seen that yet.

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4

etf

I'm just trying to practice...

I know it's omega, just didn't write it :)
    I'm not familiar with contour integration yet, but I would like to see solution...

6. Nov 20, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The idea is to consider the integral along the real axis as part of a closed contour in the complex plane. The rest of the contour doesn't contribute to the integral, so you have
    $$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{a+i\omega} e^{i\omega t}\,d\omega = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_C \frac{1}{a+iz} e^{izt}\,dz.$$ The latter integral can be evaluated using the residue theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted