Inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ##

In summary: The poles of the integrand are at ##z = -ia##, so the residue is $$\frac{1}{e^{-at}}.$$ The value of the integral is then ##2\pi i## times the sum of the residues at the poles. The contribution from this pole is ##\frac{1}{2\pi} ## times ##2\pi i ## times ## \frac{1}{e^{-at}} ##. As a result, the inverse Fourier transform is $$f(t) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \cdot 2\pi i \cdot \frac{1}{e^{-at}} = e^{-at}.$$
etf
Fourier transform is defined as
$$F(jw)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)e^{-jwt}dt.$$
Inverse Fourier transform is defined as
$$f(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}F(jw)e^{jwt}dw.$$

Let ##f(t)=e^{-at}h(t),a>0##, where ##h(t)## is heaviside function and ##a## is real constant.

Fourier transform of this function is
$$F(jw)=\int_{0}^{\infty}f(t)e^{-jwt}dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-at}e^{-jwt}dt=\frac{1}{a+jw}$$
How can I calculate inverse Fourier transform of ##\frac{1}{a+jw}##, ##f(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{a+jw}e^{jwt}dw##?
Although ##\frac{1}{a+jw}## doesn't look complicated, there is no way I can calculate this integral. Generaly, I have problems calculating inverse FT. Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
etf said:
Inverse Fourier transform is defined as
$$f(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}F(jw)e^{jwt}dw.$$

Let ##f(t)=e^{-at}h(t),a>0##, where ##h(t)## is heaviside function and ##a## is real constant.

Fourier transform of this function is
$$F(jw)=\int_{0}^{\infty}f(t)e^{-jwt}dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-at}e^{-jwt}dt=\frac{1}{a+jw}$$
How can I calculate inverse Fourier transform of ##\frac{1}{a+jw}##, ##f(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{a+jw}e^{jwt}dw##?
Although ##\frac{1}{a+jw}## doesn't look complicated, there is no way I can calculate this integral. Generaly, I have problems calculating inverse FT. Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

What is the reason you want to calculate the inverse FT of your ##F(\omega)##? [BTW: it should be called ##F(\omega)##, not ##F(i \omega)## or ##F(j \omega)##.] You already know how you obtained ##F## from your original function ##f(t)=e^{-at}h(t)##. Are you just trying to practice, to see if you can do the integral and get back your ##f(t)##, or are you fundamentally misunderstanding something about about the subject?

Last edited:
etf said:
It's traditional to use the Greek letter omega, ##\omega##, not ##w##. (I hope you don't say "double-u" when you're talking to others, especially your instructor.)

How can I calculate inverse Fourier transform of ##\frac{1}{a+jw}##, ##f(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{a+jw}e^{jwt}dw##? Although ##\frac{1}{a+jw}## doesn't look complicated, there is no way I can calculate this integral. Generaly, I have problems calculating inverse FT. Any suggestion?
It's straightforward to calculate that integral if you know how to do contour integration in the complex plane. I'm guessing you probably haven't seen that yet.

Ray Vickson said:
What is the reason you want to calculate the inverse FT of your ##F(\omega)##? [BTW: it should be called ##F(\omega)##, not ##F(i \omega)## or ##F(j \omega)##.] You already know how you obtained ##F## from your original function ##f(t)=e^{-at}h(t)##. Are you just trying to practice, to see if you can do the integral and get back your ##f(t)##, or are you fundamentally misunderstanding something about about the subject?

I'm just trying to practice...

vela said:
It's traditional to use the Greek letter omega, ##\omega##, not ##w##. (I hope you don't say "double-u" when you're talking to others, especially your instructor.)It's straightforward to calculate that integral if you know how to do contour integration in the complex plane. I'm guessing you probably haven't seen that yet.

I know it's omega, just didn't write it :)
I'm not familiar with contour integration yet, but I would like to see solution...

The idea is to consider the integral along the real axis as part of a closed contour in the complex plane. The rest of the contour doesn't contribute to the integral, so you have
$$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{a+i\omega} e^{i\omega t}\,d\omega = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_C \frac{1}{a+iz} e^{izt}\,dz.$$ The latter integral can be evaluated using the residue theorem.

Likes etf

What is the formula for the inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ##?

The inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ## is given by ## \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{a+jw}e^{j\omega t} d\omega ##.

What is the significance of a in the inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ##?

The value of a represents the real component of the complex number in the denominator of the function ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ##. This value affects the shape and position of the inverse Fourier transform in the time domain.

How does the value of a affect the shape of the inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ##?

The value of a determines the location of the peak in the time domain. A larger value of a results in a narrower peak, while a smaller value of a results in a wider peak.

What is the behavior of the inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ## as a approaches zero?

As a approaches zero, the inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ## becomes a delta function, with a peak at t=0. This indicates that the original function is a constant value, independent of time.

Can the inverse Fourier transform of ## \frac{1}{a+jw} ## be calculated analytically?

Yes, the inverse Fourier transform can be calculated analytically using the formula ## \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{a+jw}e^{j\omega t} d\omega ##. However, it may be more practical to use numerical methods to calculate the inverse transform for specific values of a and t.