How Do You Calculate the Mean Radius of a Cylinder?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 18K views
kmoh111
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am working a homework problem that is trying to find the mean radius, [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] from the midpoint of a cylinder.

The problem states:
What is the mean radius, [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] from the midpoint of a cylinder of radius a and height h to its boundary surface? Evalute mean radius [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] for a = h/2 = 10 cm.

Homework Equations



The relavent equation is [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] = (1/4pi)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int^[/tex] r sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]d[tex]\vartheta[/tex]d[tex]\beta[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


The problem and formula above is from Attix's textbook. In this case I think the limits for beta need to be 0 to 2pi for a cylinder.

I'm not sure what the limits for theta should be. I'm think it's 0 to pi.
I need to express r in terms of theta - but I'm not sure how.

Attix gives the answer as 11.32 cm.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use cylindrical coordinates [itex](s,\phi,z)[/itex] if I were you...the distance from the center of the cylinder (the origin) to a general point on the cylinder [itex](s,\phi,z)[/itex] is then [itex]\sqrt{s^2+z^}[/itex]...then all you need to do is average that over all three surfaces of the cylinder.

What is the general formula for averaging a function over a surface [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex]?...Use that.