How Do You Calculate the Net Force and Its Magnitude on an Object?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
Sana_M786
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A crate is pulled to the right (positive x-axis) with a force of 82.0 N, to the left with a force of 115 N, upward with a force of 565 N, and downward with a force of 236 N. Find the magnitude and direction of the net force on the crate.

---> I'm a bit confused about net force. I know its the sum of all the forces but do add up all the forces? Or the just the top with the bottom and right and left? And how do I find the magnitude?
---> I drew a free body diagram...but I didn't really know what to do after that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Add the vertical and horizontal forces separately to obtain a net force in each of those directions.. then use your knowledge of vectors to solve for the magnitude and direction of the net resultant force of its two perpendicular components.