How Do You Calculate the Shortest Distance Between Two Skew Lines in Space?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThankYou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lines
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ThankYou
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
1. The problem statement,
all variables and given/known data

There are 4 vectors a,b,u,v in space and {u,v} are linearly independen
The groups A={a+s*u|s E R} B = {b+t * v|t E R}are two lines in space

The Two A , B lines does not meet and the "part/line/segment (I don't know how it called ) " PQ is the smallest part that is ends are [tex]Q \in B ,P \in A[/tex] show that the length of PQ is"
[tex]\frac{|(u \times v)\bullet(a-b)|}{||u \times v||}[/tex]



Homework Equations



all calc/..

The Attempt at a Solution


I mange to get to the point of
[tex]u \times v =(s)[/tex]
and then
[tex]\frac{L(s)*L(a-b)*cos(w)}{L(s)}=L(a-b)*cos(w)[/tex]
bUT I don't know what's next
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ThankYou said:
I mange to get to the point of
[tex]u \times v =(s)[/tex]
and then
[tex]\frac{L(s)*L(a-b)*cos(w)}{L(s)}=L(a-b)*cos(w)[/tex]
bUT I don't know what's next

Huh?:confused: How are you managing to get to this point? What do [itex]w[/itex] and [itex]L[/itex] represent?

What is the general formula for the distance between two points [itex]\textbf{r}_1[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{r}_2[/itex]? What if the points lie on the lines given in the problem (i.e. [itex]\textbf{r}_1=\textbf{a}+s\textbf{u}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{r}_2=\textbf{b}+t\textbf{v}[/itex])? How would you go about minimizing that distance?
 
Yes I've managed to do it...
I've done:
[tex]u \times v[/tex] and got the vector that is vertical to both u , v
Then I've made a plane that use this vector and use point a, then I've used the forumala of plane distance from point in the first line.
Thank you/