How Do You Calculate the Torsional Constant of a Wire?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robertoalva
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Robertoalva
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
1. A 560 g hollow ball 18 cm in diameter is suspended by a wire and is undergoing torsional oscillations at a frequency of 0.78 Hz. What is the torsional constant of the wire?



Homework Equations


F=-κθ
ω=sqrt(κ/I)

The Attempt at a Solution


tried to use the frequency to get the angular displacement and then just solve for k but I didn't get the answer
 
Physics news on Phys.org
do i have to use the rotational inertia of the hollow sphere? 2/3 M R^2 ??
 
Robertoalva said:
1. A 560 g hollow ball 18 cm in diameter is suspended by a wire and is undergoing torsional oscillations at a frequency of 0.78 Hz. What is the torsional constant of the wire?

Homework Equations


F=-κθ
ω=sqrt(κ/I)

The Attempt at a Solution


tried to use the frequency to get the angular displacement and then just solve for k but I didn't get the answer
Can you write the angular displacement of the ball as a function of time ?

Robertoalva said:
do i have to use the rotational inertia of the hollow sphere? 2/3 M R^2 ??
Yes. You will need that.
 
as time... wouldn't it be something as Acoswt ?
 
i already solved it! thanks! it was using this k=(w^2 )(I)