How Do You Calculate the Total Force on a Block on an Inclined Plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
wrexsoul
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Newton's second law problem; Please Help!

Block M = 7.50 kg is initially moving up the incline and is increasing speed with
a = 4.35 m/s2. The applied force F is horizontal. The coefficients of friction
between the block and incline are fs = 0:443 and fk = 0:312. The angle of the incline is
25.0 degrees.
(a) What is the force F?

So basically, I started by tilting the axes. Then, I did F=ma. I plugged 7.5 kg into m and 4.35 into a. I got 32.6 N. Then, I took 32.6/cos(25) to get the horizontal component of force. My answer was 35.99 N. It says that my answer should be around 80 N to 120 N. What did I do wrong? Please Help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


To apply Newton's 2nd law you must consider all the forces. What other forces act parallel to the incline?

Hint: You'll need to analyze both vertical and horizontal force components.