How Do You Calculate UV Light Intensity Needed to Kill Germs on an AC Coil?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mdd16
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I need to calculate intensity of light at a distance of 24 inch from a tubular light source with a light intensity rating specified at 3.6 microwatts/sq.cm. per inch of lamp.

The light is a UV light which is to illuminating a cooling coil in air conditioning system. Supposedly there are germs on the surface of cooling coil which needs to be killed. There is a specified level of microwatts.seconds of UV dosage required to kill germs. (For this example we can assume it to be 4500). I want to calculate how long will it take to kill this germ.

Idea is to calculate incident intensity on target surface and then divide required dosage by incident intensity to get answer in seconds.

Can anyone help.

Thanks and regards
Mohan Dhingra
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is confusing. I don't see the geometry and I don't understand "3.6 microwatts/sq.cm. per inch of lamp."

But basically, just use the inverse square law. Draw a sphere around the source. Draw a sphere around the target. Intensity varies with the square of the radius.