How Do You Calculate Voltages and Power in a Complex Circuit?

In summary, the question asked to find the voltage of the 30Ω and 5Ω resistors in a given circuit and the power dissipated in the 6-Ω resistor. The Equivalent resistor equation and current divider rule were used to simplify the circuit and find the currents and voltages. The voltage of 3V and 0.5V were found for the 30Ω and 5Ω resistors respectively. The power dissipated in the 6-Ω resistor was calculated to be 1.5W.
qpham26

Homework Statement

(a) Find v1 and v2 in the following circuit. ( i assume that they are asking for voltage of 30Ω and 5Ω)
(b) Determine the power dissipated in the 6-Ω resistor.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580277_498142810205239_1717053686_n.jpg

Homework Equations

Equivalent resistor equation.
Current divider

The Attempt at a Solution

simplified the 3 parallel resistors into Req = 6Ω
Find Is = 12V/ (12+6+6) = 0.5A
Back to original circuit, 30Ω || 25+5Ω => Req2 = 15Ω
Use current divider rule to find Current of eq2 = (10Ω x 0.5A)/(10+15Ω) = 0.2A

Use that to find I1 = 0.1A and I2=0.1A

so V1 = 0.1 x 30 = 3V
V2 = 0.1 x 5 = 0.5V

P = Is^2 x 6Ω = 1.5WTHanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All looks right. :smile:

Related to How Do You Calculate Voltages and Power in a Complex Circuit?

1. What is a basic circuit analysis problem?

A basic circuit analysis problem involves using principles of circuit theory and laws such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to analyze and solve circuits with resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It often involves finding voltage, current, and power values in a circuit.

2. How do I approach solving a basic circuit analysis problem?

The first step is to draw a diagram of the circuit and label all the components with their values. Then, apply Kirchhoff's laws to write a set of equations that represent the circuit. Finally, using algebraic and/or numerical methods, solve for the unknown values.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving basic circuit analysis problems?

One common mistake is not properly labeling or understanding the circuit components. Another mistake is not properly applying Kirchhoff's laws or using incorrect equations. It is also important to pay attention to units and check your calculations for errors.

4. Can I use different methods to solve a basic circuit analysis problem?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to solve a basic circuit analysis problem. These include using nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and thevenin's theorem. It is important to understand the principles behind each method and choose the most appropriate one for the given circuit.

5. How can I check if my solution to a basic circuit analysis problem is correct?

You can check your solution by verifying that it satisfies all the given equations and laws. You can also use simulation software or a circuit simulator to compare your results. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and units can help ensure the accuracy of your solution.