How Do You Calculate Total Resistance, Current, and Power in a Complex Circuit?

In summary, the task is to solve for V, I, R, and Power for all resistors and the total circuit. The known data is shown in a table and the applicable equations are Ohm's Law and the Series Equation. The initial attempt at a solution involved adding up the parallel circuit and finding the equivalent resistance to be 0.4 ohms. However, the next step is unclear and the approach to finding the equivalent resistance for the entire circuit is unknown. The person providing assistance prompts the use of Ohm's Law and asks for the voltage and current values for the circuit. The person seeking help acknowledges knowing Ohm's Law but is unsure how to proceed.
samsmith234

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/h5VXibe

Have to solve V, I, R and Power for all resistors and the circuit total. Known data is shown in table. The rest needs to be solved for

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law and Series Equation: 1/Er=1/R1+1/R2... and Tr=R1+R2...

The Attempt at a Solution

Added up parallel circuit and found Er to be .4 ohms. Not sure where to go next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Begin by finding the equivalent resistance for the whole circuit by applying Ohms law to the circuit.

I'm not sure how to approach that.

samsmith234 said:
I'm not sure how to approach that.

You know Ohms law right? What's the voltage applied to the circuit and what's the current moving through it?

samsmith234 said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/h5VXibe

Have to solve V, I, R and Power for all resistors and the circuit total. Known data is shown in table. The rest needs to be solved for

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law and Series Equation: 1/Er=1/R1+1/R2... and Tr=R1+R2...

The Attempt at a Solution

Added up parallel circuit and found Er to be .4 ohms. Not sure where to go next.

Please show your work. The combination of R2, R3, R4 is not 0.4 Ohms...

Related to How Do You Calculate Total Resistance, Current, and Power in a Complex Circuit?

1. How do I solve a combination circuit HW problem?

Solving a combination circuit HW problem involves understanding the different types of circuits (series, parallel, and series-parallel) and using the appropriate formulas and laws (Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws) to calculate the values of the resistors and current in the circuit.

2. What are the steps to solve a combination circuit HW problem?

The steps to solve a combination circuit HW problem are:

1. Identify the type of circuit (series, parallel, or series-parallel).
  2. Apply the appropriate formulas and laws to calculate the values of the resistors and current.
  3. Simplify the circuit by combining resistors in series or parallel.
  4. Repeat the previous step until the circuit is reduced to a single equivalent resistor.
  5. Use Ohm's law to calculate the total current in the circuit.
  6. Use Kirchhoff's laws to calculate the voltage drops across the resistors.

3. What are the common mistakes made when solving combination circuit HW problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving combination circuit HW problems include:

• Forgetting to convert units (e.g. using kilohms instead of ohms).
  • Using the wrong formula for the type of circuit (e.g. using the series formula for a parallel circuit).
  • Not simplifying the circuit before attempting to solve it.
  • Not considering the direction of current flow when applying Kirchhoff's laws.

4. How can I check my answer for a combination circuit HW problem?

You can check your answer for a combination circuit HW problem by verifying that the calculated values for voltage and current satisfy Ohm's law (V = IR) and Kirchhoff's laws (KCL and KVL). Additionally, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current in the circuit and compare them to your calculated values.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve combination circuit HW problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve combination circuit HW problems. In fact, it is recommended to use a scientific calculator with trigonometric and logarithmic functions to make calculations easier. However, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units.