How Do You Calculate Xav, (X^2)av, and deltaX for a Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
GreenLRan
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Use the ground-state wave function of the simple harmonic oscillator to find: Xav, (X^2)av and deltaX. Use the normalization constant A= (m*omegao/(h_bar*pi))^1/4.

Homework Equations



deltaX=sqrt((X^2)av-(Xav)^2)

wavefunc=A*e^(-ax^2) ?

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure if I'm on the right path, but I started out by plugging in A and doing the integral of the wavefunction. My question is... does doing this give me Xav? If not, how would I go about solving this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you plug the right A in and do the integral of [tex]\psi^* \psi[/tex] you should get 1. It's normalized. Getting <x>=Xav? requires inserting an x into the integral.

[tex]<f(x)>=\int \psi^*(x) f(x) \psi(x) dx[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Meir Achuz said:
Of course, you know you need to use Psi^2.

I said that in a pretty sloppy way. I've edited the post to clarify.