1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you decide what is dy/dt, or dx/dt

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if y=2t+3 and x=t^2, find dy/dx

2. Relevant equations
    dy=dy/dt*dt/dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    dy/dt=2
    dx/dt=2t
    therefore dy/dx=1/t
    what I don't understand is how the dy/dt etc. is found when attempting this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, look at each equation in turn

The first equation is y = 2t + 3. What is dy/dt?

If this equation were written y = 2x + 3, would you have any problem finding dy/dx?

The second equation is x = t2

What if you wanted to find dy/dx for y = x2 ?

The rules of differentiation that you are supposed to learn are written around finding the change in the dependent variable with respect to the change in the independent variable. Since y is usually the dependent variable and x is the independent variable, the rules all state dy/dx = whatever.

For example, if y = xn, then dy/dx = n ⋅ xn-1

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to differentiate the formula 2t+3 with respect to t?

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4
    i understand differentiation in that you could find the derivative by going (2*1)t^(1-1) =2 i'm not clear on how it relates to dy/dt and combining it with dx/dt

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    i suppose what im asking would be; what does dy/dt mean? I can't wrap my head around the explanation in my textbook and im looking for a dumbed down version

7. Feb 14, 2016 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the rate of increase of y as t increases. Loosely put, it is the size of the tiny increase in y that would arise from making a tiny increase to t and putting that in the formula for y. If you do a line graph of y on the vertical axis against t on the horizontal axis it is the slope (gradient) of the line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted