Find f'(x): f'(x) = ##\frac {dy} {dx},\frac {dx}{dt}= \frac {8t^7}{1+t^{16}} ##

In summary, The attempt at a solution is to use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the function f'(x). That is, to find f'(x) for all x in (a,x). Newton Liebnitz rule can be used to find f(x).
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

if ## f(x)= \int_x^3 \sqrt {1+t^{16}} dt ## find f'(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let ## x = 1+t^{16},## → ##\frac {dx}{dt},= 16t^{15},##
## y= x^{1/2} ## →##\frac {dy} {dx},= 0.5x^{-0.5}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you're asked to find ##\frac{dx}{dt}## or ##\frac{dy}{dx}##. You're asked to find ##\frac{df(x)}{dx}=f'(x)##.

In any case, why not review the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to try and solve this problem?

Last edited:
then ## f'(x) = f(t)##

I don't think that's right. How can a function of ##x## be equal to a function of ##t##; that is, if neither are constant? Anyway, that's beside the point. Why don't you start by stating the first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus? I believe that that's mostly what's needed in this problem.

Last edited:
Likes Ericpoke and chwala
chwala said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let ## x = 1+t^{16},## → ##\frac {dx}{dt},= 16t^{15},##
## y= x^{1/2} ## →##\frac {dy} {dx},= 0.5x^{-0.5}##
No, this is not the right approach. You should not attempt to evaluate this integral directly. You should be using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find f'(x), as @Eclair_de_XII has suggested.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala said:
then ## f'(x) = f(t)##
The integral is actually a function of x, due to the fact that x appears as one of the limits of integration. "t" is a "dummy" variable.

ok ## F(x) ##=## \int_ a^x { f(t)} dt##
then
→## F'(X) = f(x)## for all ##x∈ (a,x)##

Have you tried using Newton Liebnitz rule ?

chwala said:
ok ## F(x) ##=## \int_ a^x { f(t)} dt##
then
→## F'(X) = f(x)## for all ##x∈ (a,x)##
No. The posted problem is this: if ## f(x)= \int_x^3 \sqrt {1+t^{16}} dt ## find f'(x).
What is f'(x) in terms of the above?

ubergewehr273 said:
Have you tried using Newton Liebnitz rule ?
This is essentially the same advice that has already been given.

I don't know the rule, kindly show me I am stuck

Apply this part of the theorem that you posted:

chwala said:
##F'(x) = f(x)## for all ##x∈(a,x)##

to this part of the theorem that you also posted:

chwala said:
##F(x) =\int_a^xf(t)dt##

If you know how to do that, then you should be able to do the problem that you posted, given that you understand the relationship between ##f(x)## and ##f'(x)##.

Last edited:
now ## \frac {d} {dt} \int_x^3 \sqrt{1+t^{16}}## dt
##= \int_x^3 0.5× 16t^{15}##/##\sqrt{1+t^{16}} dt##
let ## u = 1+t^{16}##
→ ## \int_x^3 0.5 u^{-0.5}du##
→##√1+t^{16}## from x to 3
##= √4-√{1+x} ## = f(x)
f'(x)= ## -0.5/ √{1+x}##

chwala said:
now ## \frac {d} {dt} \int_x^3 √{1+t^{16}}## dt
##= \int_x^3 0.5× 16t^{15}##/##√1+t^{16}## dt
let ## u = 1+t^{16}##
##= √4-√{1+x} ## = f(x)
f'(x)= ## -0.5/ √{1+x}##
note square root sign should cover all terms under it, sorry for using small square root sign..

chwala said:
I don't know the rule, kindly show me I am stuck
Do you have a textbook? If so, look up "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus". If you can't find it in your textbook, look up this phrase on the internet.
chwala said:
now ## \frac {d} {dt} \int_x^3 \sqrt{1+t^{16}}## dt
##= \int_x^3 0.5× 16t^{15}##/##\sqrt{1+t^{16}} dt##
No. This is wrong.
chwala said:
let ## u = 1+t^{16}##
No. You aren't using the substitution method correctly. It isn't of any help in this problem.
chwala said:
##= √4-√{1+x} ## = f(x)
f'(x)= ## -0.5/ √{1+x}##

where am i using the substitution wrongly...if i got the concept, its better you just pin point any error ..

I'd personally recommend just locating the Wikipedia article for it and looking for an explanation on how the theorem is used.

But I'm not sure if recommending that is kosher at this point.

chwala said:
where am i using the substitution wrongly...if i got the concept, its better you just pin point any error ..
In post #14, you said
let ##u = 1 + t^{16}##
You also have to find du, which you didn't do. You can't just replace dt with du here.
It seems that you don't have a good understanding of integration by substitution.

At any rate, integration by substitution won't work.

Eclair_de_XII said:
I'd personally recommend just locating the Wikipedia article for it and looking for an explanation on how it's used, but I'm not sure if recommending that is kosher at this point.
This is enough of a hint. Let @chwala do a bit of digging now.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
This is enough of a hint.

Apologies. I've deleted my message.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Apologies. I've deleted my message.
No need to apologize. Your post was OK. I undeleted the 2nd of the two posts you deleted.

ooooh i see...ok using the leibniz integral
## \frac {d} {dx},= \int_x^3 \sqrt {1+t^{16}}## dt=
##\sqrt {1+3^{16}}##×16×##{3^{15}}##-##\sqrt {1+x^{16}}##×1=
##1.506 ×10^{12}-\sqrt {1+x^{16}}##

chwala said:
is this correct?

chwala said:
The part just above is wrong.
chwala said:
No, but this is closer than your previous attempts.

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus says, in part, the following.
If ##f(x) = \int_a^x g(t)dt##, then ##f'(x) = g(x)##
Notice that a doesn't play a part in the answer. Also note the positions of the two integration limits, a and x. If they are in the opposite positions, you get a different answer.

In light of the mistakes you've made in this thread, it would be a very good idea to go back and review how integration by substitution works. Presumably that has been presented to you earlier, but it's clear you need some more practice with it. It's also good practice to check your work when you integrate, by differentiating your answer to an indefinite integral. When you differentiate your answer, you should get back to the integrand. If you don't, then you've made a mistake.

i made a mistake, the solution is correct only that it has a negative sign,
## f'(x)= f(h(x).h'(x)) - f(g(x).g'(x)) ##
this gives
##\sqrt {1+3^{16}}##.0 - ##\sqrt {1+x^{16}}##.1
##= -\sqrt {1+x^{16}}## which is correct the correct answer is ##\sqrt {1+x^{16}}##
you are so quick in telling me am wrong, i last did this thing 10years ago, just need refreshing my brain...i will post the other method here, be patient

chwala said:
this gives
##= -\sqrt {1+x^{16}}## which is correct the correct answer is ##\sqrt {1+x^{16}}##
you are so quick in telling me am wrong, i last did this thing 10years ago, just need refreshing my brain...i will post the other method here, be patient
i have no problem absolutely with using integration by substitution. The problem here does not need it anyway. I made a few mistakes, i am human that's all

correct solution
##F'(x)##= ## \ {d} /{dt} \int_ a^x f(t) \ dt ##= ##f(x)##
substituting directly by replacing ##t## with ##x##,
##F'(x) = \sqrt {1+x^{16}}## =## f(x)##

chwala said:
i have no problem absolutely with using integration by substitution. The problem here does not need it anyway. I made a few mistakes, i am human that's all
aaaaah i can now see when you interchange the limits you get a positive value......

chwala said:
aaaaah i can now see when you interchange the limits you get a positive value......
Any other approach? on this problem?

chwala said:
I don't know what the above has to do with this problem. It's also not how the chain rule is formulated.
chwala said:
this gives
No, the first term shouldn't be there
chwala said:

Here is what you wrote in post #1:
[/quote]if ## f(x)= \int_x^3 \sqrt {1+t^{16}} dt ## find f'(x)
chwala said:
Notice that ##\int_x^3 \sqrt {1+t^{16}} dt = -\int_3^x \sqrt {1+t^{16}} dt##, so this now matches the form of the Fundamental Theorem. If you miswrote the original integral, and it should be ##\int_3^x \sqrt {1+t^{16}} dt##, then ##\sqrt {1+x^{16}}## is correct; otherwise, that negative sign should be there.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
I don't know what the above has to do with this problem. It's also not how the chain rule is formulated.
No, the first term shouldn't be there

Mark44 said:
Here is what you wrote in post #1:
Agreed Mark, the first constant term should not be there,otherwise the problem was written correctly but have you checked...

##\int_a^b {f{x}}dx## = - ## \int_b^a {f{x}} dx##?? you can use this in the same problem as it is , changing the limits the negatives cancel out...Can you see?

chwala said:
you are so quick in telling me am wrong
Because you have written so many incorrect things in this thread.
Here are three of them:
##F'(x)##= ## \ {d} /{dt} \int_ a^x f(t) \ dt ##= ##f(x)##
The integral ## \int_ a^x f(t) \ dt ## is a function of x, not t, so it doesn't make sense to differentiate with respect to t. Also, without defining what F and F' represent, it doesn't make sense to start an equation off with either of them.
then ## f'(x) = f(t)##
As already noted by another responder, this doesn't make sense.
let ## u = 1+t^{16}##

As I said earlier, this isn't how substitution works. It's not enough to just define u, you have to also find du, which in this case is ##16t^{15}dt##. Since the original integral doesn't have ##16t^{15}##, substitution won't work in this case.
chwala said:
i last did this thing 10years ago, just need refreshing my brain
Like I said, it would be a good idea to review integration by substitution. You may have been proficient in this technique 10 years ago, but you're pretty rusty with it now.
chwala said:
i have no problem absolutely with using integration by substitution

chwala said:
Any other approach? on this problem?
It's possible a trig substitution would work, but using the Fund. Theorem is vastly simpler here.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala said:
have you checked...

##\int_a^b {f{x}}dx## = - ## \int_b^a {f{x}} dx##??
What are you asking? This is what I was talking about toward the end of post #23, about changing the order of the limits of integration.
Correction to the above: ##\int_a^b f(x)dx## = - ## \int_b^a f(x) dx##
chwala said:
you can use this in the same problem as it is , changing the limits the negatives cancel out...Can you see?
In terms of your problem, ##f(x) = \int_x^3 \sqrt{1 + t^{16}} dt = - \int_3^x \sqrt{1 + t^{16}} dt##
##\Rightarrow f'(x) = \frac d {dx}\left( - \int_3^x \sqrt{1 + t^{16}} dt \right) = -\sqrt{1 + x^{16}}##

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
What are you asking? This is what I was talking about toward the end of post #23, about changing the order of the limits of integration.
Correction to the above: ##\int_a^b f(x)dx## = - ## \int_b^a f(x) dx##

In terms of your problem, ##f(x) = \int_x^3 \sqrt{1 + t^{16}} dt = - \int_3^x \sqrt{1 + t^{16}} dt##
##\Rightarrow f'(x) = \frac d {dx}\left( - \int_3^x \sqrt{1 + t^{16}} dt \right) = -\sqrt{1 + x^{16}}##
Are you by any chance implying that we get the same result even after interchanging or switching the limits? Have you looked at the Leibniz integral (on the fundamental laws of calculus)? as indicated in post 9..looks like you don't know it, i am not formulating the chain rule in any way, rather i am using the theorem as it is. Kindly clarify, thanks Mark.

chwala said:
I used lebniz integral on fundamental laws of calculus here, look at the theorem kindly before responding..

Mark have a look below on attachment on leibniz integral or is the theorem wrong?

Attachments

• The Leibniz Integral Rule.docx
    21 KB · Views: 133