How Do You Determine the Direction of Rotation Using the Right-Hand Rule?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
BigJon
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The moment of force Fa about point O

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know how to setup with breaking the force into x,y component but how to tell if its rotating cw or ccw about the point. I think y is ccw but i can't tell on x. I think i would use right hand rule but need to know how to do it correctly.
 
Attachments
  • physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
Right hand rule would work here. How did you come to conclusion that Fy
"rotates" ccw? If You know the distance and direction of the force, it's easy to determine the direction of moment.

The distance has to be perpendicular to the force, and your fingers have to be directed in the direction of the force, i.e. the direction of rotation. Your palm shows moment direction.
 
Well to setup the prob it would be like -200cos(60)(9in)+200sin(60)(30in), but why is the first term negative if x pulls straight out? My prof. didnt pull this from the book. Maybe I'm not understanding the principle behind moments etc.
 
BigJon said:
Well to setup the prob it would be like -200cos(60)(9in)+200sin(60)(30in), but why is the first term negative if x pulls straight out? My prof. didnt pull this from the book. Maybe I'm not understanding the principle behind moments etc.

Please check the photo that i attached. If you try to rotate Fx around point P, your thumb would be faced down which is the negative z direction, and therefore that moment is also negative.
 
Attachments
  • rotation.JPG
    rotation.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 511