How do you determine the function of a spring in terms of k?

  • Thread starter Thread starter drummerscott
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
drummerscott
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



*See Attachment*

The problem states to find "y" which I'm assuming is the change in distance from the original point marked "y".


Homework Equations


Hooke's Law


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm pretty sure the change in Y is -0.1in

P=-ky
y=p/-k
y=-0.1

I have no idea how to express things as a function of k (second part of the question)

Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • 968_0332.jpg
    968_0332.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 559
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's clear for others, but I find the question totally vague.
 
Yeah...that is why I'm quite confused. This isn't for physics either, this is "introductory" homework for strength of materials...