How do you do this weird integral?

Hello,

I came upon this strange integral:

[tex]\int \frac{f(x,y)}{x}dx[/tex]

How would one attempt to solve this? Would integration by parts do?

What is f(x,y) ? Unless you have a more specific formula, there is not much you can do to compute or simplify the integral.

Like yyat said, unless we have more info about f(x,y) we can't really say anything about it.

Are yoiu going to tell us what f(x,y) is?

If x and y are independent variables, then just integrate normally with respect to x and treat y as a constant.

If y = g(x), then plug in.

If y is an implict function of x, some method of integration might make your life easier. This would be a lot easier to do on a case by case basis.

or if: f(x,y)=0 the integral is zero(0) or if

f(x,y)=1=> integral is ln|x|

(just messing around)!

... just for clarification, I was being serious. I think I just about listed all the cases. Did I miss one?

... just for clarification, I was being serious. I think I just about listed all the cases. Did I miss one?
Excuse post #6. If you interpreted it as a joke to your post, it was not meant to be so.

I think you mentioned about all possible cases. The OP, might also consider differetiating under the integral sign as well, if applicable. But since there are no info whatsoever about the nature of f(x,y), then god help us.

No offense taken!

I agree that the problem is sort of vague. I mean, I could ask you how you solve the equation

f(x) = 0.

It... uh... sort of depends on, well, what f(x) is.

Well, I meant f(x,y) to just be an arbitrary function of x and y. My question was meant to find out what the general form of the integral would be. Sorry for the confusion!