How Do You Find the Area of a Region Enclosed by Given Curves?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aerosion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Aerosion
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Sketch the region enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.

2y=3(x^1/2)
y=4
2y+4x=7

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I decided to solve for y, since that would make it easier to graph. This got me y=(3(x^1/2)/2) and y=7/2-2x. I then graphed these, finding that the span on the x-axis would be from 0 to 2.

I integrated the problem, getting 3-2*(2^1/2). This seems wrong. What happened? I'm probably overlooking something small...

(By the way, Latex isn't working, so the x^1/2 things means that that number or variable is square rooted.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, when I graphed it, I noticed that 7/2-2x was above 3(x^1/2)/2. So I integrated (7/2-2x) - (3(x^1/2)/2) with an upper limit of 2 and a lower limit of 0, and that got me 3-2*(2^1/2).

[tex]\int_{0}^{2} (\frac{7}{2} - 2x) - (\frac{3*\sqrt{x}}{2}) dx[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Okay, I've sort of figured it out. I have to solve for x in the equation, even though I solved for y in the graph. So here it is, revised...

[tex]\int_{1.5}^{3} \frac{4*y^2}{9} - \frac{-(2*y - 7)}{4} dy[/tex]

It's still not coming out correct, though (I'm doing an internet-generated problem and it's saying that it's wrong). I'm getting 2.5625, by the way. Am I still doing something wrong?
 
Aerosion said:
Well, when I graphed it, I noticed that 7/2-2x was above 3(x^1/2)/2. So I integrated (7/2-2x) - (3(x^1/2)/2) with an upper limit of 2 and a lower limit of 0, and that got me 3-2*(2^1/2).

[tex]\int_{0}^{2} (\frac{7}{2} - 2x) - (\frac{3*\sqrt{x}}{2}) dx[/tex]

Are you sure about " 3-2*(2^1/2)" as an answer, I can see where the 3 comes from, but I don't see how you got the square root of two there, what is the integral of the squareroot of x?
 
Why do you need to solve for x rather than y? That's a crucial part of the problem.