How Do You Find The Exact Value Of Square Root of 3, 5, 7, 11?

In summary, there is no exact method to find the square root of non-perfect square integers. While arithmetic algorithms can approximate the square root, the exact values are irrational and cannot be written as a terminating decimal, repeating decimal, or fraction. However, these square roots can be represented as infinite continued fractions, which exhibit a regular pattern and are a nice alternative to decimal expansions.
mymachine
Is there any method to find the exact value of the square root of 3,5,7,11,13,14,15,17,18, etc.?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Arithmetic algorithms can approximate these square roots, but because they are all irrational, the decimal representations are non-repeating and non-terminating.

The exact values of the square root of 2, 3, 5 ,7, 11, etc are [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{7}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{11}[/itex]. That's the best you can do. As SteamKing said, all of those, and, in fact, the square root of any integer that is not a "perfect square", are irrational- they cannot be written as a terminating decimal, they cannot be written as a repeating decimal like "0.14141414...", and cannot be written as a fraction (integer over integer).

(I added "2" to the beginning of your list. I am surprized you did not have it.)

Might as well add 6, 8, 10, and so on to the list, since none of these is a perfect square, and consequently does not have a square root that is rational.

If instead of a infinite decimal expansion you would accept some other infinite expression then you can express the square root of 2 as an infinite continued fraction.

lavinia said:
If instead of a infinite decimal expansion you would accept some other infinite expression then you can express the square root of 2 as an infinite continued fraction.

The infinite fraction representation is a really nice one because it exhibits a lot of regularity. In the decimal expansion of ##\sqrt{2}##, there is no way to know which decimal comes next. But the infinite fraction is very straightforward and exhibits a nice pattern.

1. What is the exact value of the square root of 3?

The exact value of the square root of 3 is approximately 1.7320508075688772.

2. How can I calculate the square root of 5?

The square root of 5 can be calculated by using a calculator or by using the long division method to find the decimal approximation. The exact value of the square root of 5 is approximately 2.23606797749979.

3. Is there a simple way to find the exact value of the square root of 7?

Unfortunately, there is no simple way to find the exact value of the square root of 7. It is an irrational number and cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. The decimal approximation for the square root of 7 is approximately 2.6457513110645907.

4. Can I find the exact value of the square root of 11 without using a calculator?

No, it is not possible to find the exact value of the square root of 11 without using a calculator. Similar to square root of 7, it is also an irrational number and cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction.

5. How do I know if my answer for the square root of a number is correct?

You can check if your answer for the square root of a number is correct by squaring it. For example, if you have calculated that the square root of 7 is approximately 2.6457513110645907, you can check it by squaring 2.6457513110645907 which should give you a result close to 7. It may not be exactly 7 due to rounding errors, but it should be close enough.