How Do You Find the Standard Matrix of a Linear Transformation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter x.x586
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix Standard
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
x.x586
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let T be a linear transformation from R3 to R3. Suppose T transforms (1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) to (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0) respectively.

Find the standard matrix of T and determine whether T is one to one and if T is onto

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know T(x) =Ax=[T(e1) ,T(e2,) T(e3)]

I thought A would just be the matrix with columns (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0), but then I realized that
(1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) are not the standard basis vectors for R3


My book doesn't give any examples where we don't start with the standard basis vectors

Should I have started by taking a 3x3 matrix entries [x1,x2,x3;x4,x5,x6] and multiply that by a 3x3 matrix with entries [1,1,0;1,0,1;0,1,1] and set that equal to a matrix with entries [1,0,3;1,1,4;1,3,0] and then got a system of equations from there by multiplying the left side out. And then set up an augmented matrix and used row reduction to find corresponding entries for A?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Using the linearity of T, you can calculate T(e1), T(e2) and T(e3):

T(e1)+T(e2)=(1,1,1)
T(e1)+T(e3)=(0,1,3)
T(e2)+T(e3)=(3,4,0)

After that, you can build up A.
 
x.x586 said:

Homework Statement



Let T be a linear transformation from R3 to R3. Suppose T transforms (1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) to (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0) respectively.

Find the standard matrix of T and determine whether T is one to one and if T is onto

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know T(x) =Ax=[T(e1) ,T(e2,) T(e3)]

I thought A would just be the matrix with columns (1,1,1) (0,1,3) and (3,4,0), but then I realized that
(1,1,0) ,(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) are not the standard basis vectors for R3


My book doesn't give any examples where we don't start with the standard basis vectors

Should I have started by taking a 3x3 matrix entries [x1,x2,x3;x4,x5,x6] and multiply that by a 3x3 matrix with entries [1,1,0;1,0,1;0,1,1] and set that equal to a matrix with entries [1,0,3;1,1,4;1,3,0] and then got a system of equations from there by multiplying the left side out. And then set up an augmented matrix and used row reduction to find corresponding entries for A?
Yes, that'll work. You could also write ei as a linear combination of the given vectors, and then use the linearity of T to evaluate T(ei).