How do you find the velocity with only the following given information?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
aamir23
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The coefficient of friction between a racecar’s wheels and the track is 1.0. The car starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate for 400 m. Find the velocity at the end of the race.

so Vo=0m/s
x=400m
mu=1
acceleration is constant
and we need to find Vf

Homework Equations


Ff = muN
Velocity and acceleration:
v=dx/dt
a=dv/dt
Constant acceleration:
v = v0 +at
x = x0 +v0t + 1/2at^2
v^2 = vo^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution


Personally, I don't know how to approach this. If the mass, acceleration, or time were given I would be able to do this, but since they are not, I'm thoroughly stumped.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the point is that since its a race, the car is accelerating as much as possible given the coefficient of friction. Do you agree with that? If so, use that to solve for the acceleration and you are home free.
 
Welcome to PF!

Hi aamir23! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, I think Phyisab**** :smile: is right …

sometimes, you have to read the question very carefully, and then make an intelligent guess as to what's going through the examiner's mind! :rolleyes: