How do you find the X-values of inequalites involving trig functions?

In summary, the values of X between 0 and 2 pie radians that satisfy the conditions |sinX|<0.5 and |cosX|>0.5 are found by using inverse trig functions or by drawing the graphs and identifying the intervals where sin(X) or cos(X) is equal to 0.5. The continuous nature of these functions allows for a test point to be chosen in each interval to determine the solutions.
graphs

Homework Statement

What values of X between 0 and 2 pie radians satisfy each of the following:

1. |sinX|<0.5

2. |cosX|>0.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the values of X lie between

1. -0.5 < sinX <0.5

2. cosX< -0.5 and cosX>0.5

How do you find the actual values of X? Do you use inverse trig functions? I forgot all that. Please, someone show me how to find the X's. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
graphs said:

Homework Statement

What values of X between 0 and 2 pie radians satisfy each of the following:

1. |sinX|<0.5

2. |cosX|>0.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the values of X lie between

1. -0.5 < sinX <0.5

2. cosX< -0.5 and cosX>0.5

No, the values of x don't lie on those intervals. Those are the intervals where sin(x) and cos(x) lie.

How do you find the actual values of X? Do you use inverse trig functions? I forgot all that. Please, someone show me how to find the X's. Thanks.

Draw the graphs. You can easily see where the values of x are that work on the graph. Assuming you know what x gives sine or cosine of .5 it should be easy to write down the x intervals.

LCKurtz said:
No, the values of x don't lie on those intervals. Those are the intervals where sin(x) and cos(x) lie.

Right. I made a mistake sin(X) or cos(X)= F(X)=Y...No X's. .

LCKurtz said:
Draw the graphs. You can easily see where the values of x are that work on the graph. Assuming you know what x gives sine or cosine of .5 it should be easy to write down the x intervals.

Can I arrive to that algebraically?

LCKurtz said:

graphs said:
Can I arrive to that algebraically?

You can use the inverse cosine and sine functions to get the principle values. You still need to get the others. Can you not get the "standard triangle" angles and their sines and cosines by drawing little triangles?

Solve |sin(x)| = 0.5 for 0 ≤ x ≤ 2π . Place the solutions on the x-axis. They divide the x-axis up into intervals. Since the |sin(x)| is a continuous function, |sin(x)| will be entirely above 0.5 or entirely below 0.5 in each interval, so pick a test point from each interval.

Thank you for the answers, people.

1. How do you determine the X-values of inequalities involving trig functions?

The X-values of inequalities involving trig functions can be determined by first graphing the trig function on a coordinate plane. Then, identify the points where the graph crosses the X-axis. These points will be the X-values of the inequality.

2. What is the process for solving inequalities involving trig functions?

The process for solving inequalities involving trig functions is similar to solving regular algebraic inequalities. Begin by isolating the trig function on one side of the inequality. Then use inverse trig functions to solve for the variable. Remember to check the domain of the trig function to ensure the solution is valid.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve inequalities involving trig functions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve inequalities involving trig functions. However, it is important to make sure the calculator is set to the correct angle measurement mode (degrees or radians) and to double check the solutions by graphing or using a trig identity.

4. Are there any special rules for solving inequalities involving trig functions?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving inequalities involving trig functions. First, remember to check for extraneous solutions, as trig functions have restricted domains. Also, when using inverse trig functions, there may be multiple solutions, so be sure to include all possible solutions in the final answer.

5. How can I check my solutions for inequalities involving trig functions?

You can check your solutions for inequalities involving trig functions by graphing the original inequality and the solution on a coordinate plane. The point(s) where the graph of the inequality and the solution intersect should be the correct solution(s). Additionally, you can use a trig identity to substitute the solution into the original inequality and verify that it makes the inequality true.