1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you get a matrix from this basis?

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here's my problem. I only need help with the bottom part, but if you could explain the problem more vividly that would help too.
    Kwvdeca.png
    2. Relevant equations
    A = S-1BS (?)
    There aren't really any relevant equations. This part of linear algebra is getting really abstract, at least I think so. If there are any equations, I'm not aware of them.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem I'm assigned for homework is very similar to this. I'm almost sure I got the answer right, but I don't completely understand the question. Why does the basis give that specific matrix B? What do you do with the basis to get B?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello BS, welcome to PF :smile: !

Your hitting an extremely important subject in physics, math, engineering and what have you here !

Unfortunately, the explanation given in your text is already quite clear, so I find it difficult to add to it meaningfully.

Do you have any problem with the interpretation of matrix B on the basis of ##\mathfrak {B}## ?

How do you write vectors that are written as ##(\lambda, \mu)## on the basis of ##\mathfrak {B}## if you have to write them on the usual basis on ##\Re^2## ?

And if you apply the transformation B to ##(\lambda, \mu)## what do you get? And how does it look in ##\Re^2## ?

The other way around: what do you do to find the ##(\lambda, \mu)## corresponding to a vector ##(x, y)## in ##\Re^2## ?

---
    Sorry about the ##\Re##, looks awful. Someone will know which fonts are available here, but I have trouble finding out

[edit] ah, found \mathbb : ##\mathbb R##
    --​

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Apr 30, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps I can save a few words with a picture:

VecTransf.jpg
    T is reflection about the line spanned by (2,3).
    What is T of vector ##\vec v = (5,2)## ?

We found that T is diagonal on a basis ##\mathfrak B## consisting of ##\vec e_1 = (2,3)## and ##\vec e_2 = (-3,2)##
    with ##T(\vec e_1) = (1) \vec e_1## and ##T(\vec e_2) = (-1) \vec e_1##
    T is linear, which means that
    the projection ##\lambda \vec e_1## of ##\vec v## on ##\vec e_1##
    transforms into ##\lambda T(\vec e_1) = \lambda \vec e_1##

and the projection ##\mu \vec e_2## of ##\vec v## on ##\vec e_2##
    transforms into ##\mu T(\vec e_2) = - \mu \vec e_2##

5. May 1, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The formula for the ##\mathfrak B##-matrix of ##T## (for arbitrary ##\mathfrak B##) is certainly relevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted