1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How do you get cos{(a+b)}=cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b}?

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    How do you get cos{a+b}=cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b} from cos{a}cos{b} - sin{a}sin{b} + i(sin{a}cos{b} + cos{a}sin{b}?
    From trying to use Euler's formula.
    cos{a+b} + isin{a+b} = e^i(a+b)= e^ia + e^ib
    (cos{a} + isin{a})(cos{b} + isin{b})

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Julia,
    Simply carry out (write out) the multiplication: the real part is the ##\cos(\alpha + \beta)## expression and the imaginary part the ##\sin## one !

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    I'm just not sure how to put this in an equation that has sin(a + b) on one side or cos(a+b)

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4
    I know the real and imaginary parts, I just don't know how to show they're equal to cos{a + b} and sin{a+b} respectively.

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]cos(a+b)=(e^{i(a+b)}+e^{-i(a+b)})/2[/itex]
    [itex]cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b)=[(e^{ia}+e^{-ia})(e^{ib}+e^{-ib})+(e^{ia}-e^{-ia})(e^{ib}-e^{-ib})]/4
    =(e^{i(a+b)}+e^{-i(a+b)})]/2[/itex]

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6
    No, that's not how exponents work. It should be $$e^{i(a+b)} = e^{ia} e^{ib}$$

EDIT. I see you've written it correctly below that line. If you carry out the multiplication, you'll find that the real part is what you're looking for.

8. Apr 7, 2016 #7

Svein

Science Advisor

1. [itex]e^{i(a+b)}= e^{ia}e^{ib} [/itex]
    2. [itex]e^{i(a+b)}= \cos(a+b) + i\sin(a+b) [/itex]
    3. [itex] e^{ia}e^{ib}=(\cos(a)+i\sin(a))\cdot (\cos(b)+i\sin(b))=(\cos(a) \cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b))+i(\sin(a)\cos(b)+\cos(a)sin(b))[/itex]
    Now the real and imaginary parts must separately be equal to each other.

9. Apr 7, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Julia,
    Sorry I missed the plus sign error. It should have been a multiplication. But on the next line you do write a multiplication, so I expect that + was just a typo.

Somewhat contrary to PF culture your helpers have given the full solution. Just to make sure: do you understand it all now ?

10. Apr 12, 2016 #9
    Yes, thanks all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted