How Do You Graphically Represent a Change of Variables in a Coordinate System?

In summary: Then, for each x, y, write the corresponding C on the coordinate axes and plot the points. The resulting graph will be an "orthogonal hyperbola family".
GreenGoblin
hi,
i need to know how to plot the change of variables
am i just to take x, and y as different constants, and treat it as normally on the (u,v) axis? so for the first, it will be like plotting on the (x,y) axis something like y^2 = x^2 - c, for different c, how many lines would i need to plot? and how would i mark it? would i say what c is each time
just to be sure these are the right lines, they are curvy like a hourglass, and they meet the axis at sqrt(c) on each side, so for each c we get two of these curves, so i need to plot all this twice. and then, also for the y=2uv, do i also plot this many times (for the same c) would i need to put all this lines on to the same plot? and mark each time which is c?

OR DO I NEED TO SHOW JUST WHERE X AND Y ARE BOTH CONSTANT? the wording has ambiguity.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenGoblin said:
hi,
i need to know how to plot the change of variables
am i just to take x, and y as different constants, and treat it as normally on the (u,v) axis? so for the first, it will be like plotting on the (x,y) axis something like y^2 = x^2 - c, for different c, how many lines would i need to plot? and how would i mark it? would i say what c is each time
just to be sure these are the right lines, they are curvy like a hourglass, and they meet the axis at sqrt(c) on each side, so for each c we get two of these curves, so i need to plot all this twice. and then, also for the y=2uv, do i also plot this many times (for the same c) would i need to put all this lines on to the same plot? and mark each time which is c?

OR DO I NEED TO SHOW JUST WHERE X AND Y ARE BOTH CONSTANT? the wording has ambiguity.
I think this is the sort of thing they are looking for (it's an image I found online by searching for "orthogonal hyperbola family"). The family of "y=2uv" hyperbolas looks like the family of "hourglass" hyperbolas rotated through 45º. The important thing about the two families of curves is that wherever a curve from one family meets a curve from the other family, they intersect at right angles to each other.

View attachment 122

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 61
Yes, that's right. The "family" [tex]x^2- y^2= C[/tex] satisfies [tex]2x- 2y y'= 0[/tex] or [tex]y'= x/y[/tex] and so the "orthogonal family", the family of all curves that are perpendicular to any curves in the first family must satisfy [tex]y'= -y/x[/tex]. That is the same as [tex]dy/dx= -y/x[/tex] or [tex]dy/y= -dx/x[/tex]. Integrating, [tex]ln(y)= -ln(x)+ C[/itex] which is the same [tex]ln(y)+ ln(x)= ln(xy)= C[/tex] so that [tex]xy= e^C= C'[/tex]. To graph those, let C be a number of different values. Perhaps positive and negative integers would be simplest.

Related to How Do You Graphically Represent a Change of Variables in a Coordinate System?

What is plotting change of variables?

Plotting change of variables is a mathematical technique used to transform the coordinates of a graph into a different set of variables. This allows for a better understanding of the relationships between different variables and can help to identify patterns and trends in data.

Why is plotting change of variables important in science?

Plotting change of variables is important in science because it allows for a more comprehensive analysis of data. By transforming the coordinates of a graph, scientists can identify patterns and relationships between variables that may not have been apparent in the original plot.

What are the benefits of plotting change of variables?

The benefits of plotting change of variables include a better understanding of the relationships between variables, identification of patterns and trends in data, and the ability to simplify complex data sets. It also allows for easier comparison between different sets of data.

What are some common techniques for plotting change of variables?

There are several common techniques for plotting change of variables, including logarithmic scales, inverse functions, and polynomial transformations. Each technique has its own advantages and is chosen based on the specific data set and research question.

How can I determine which technique to use for plotting change of variables?

The best technique for plotting change of variables will depend on the type of data and the research question. It is important to carefully consider the data and the relationships between variables before choosing a technique. Consulting with a statistician or colleague can also be helpful in determining the most appropriate technique.