How Do You Integrate x^2 Over the Square Root of (x^2 + 3)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ParoXsitiC
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
ParoXsitiC
Messages
58
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[itex]\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+3}}[/itex]

Homework Equations



sinh-1(u) = u' / (u^2 + 1)

The Attempt at a Solution



Make the x^2 + 3 look like x^2 + 1 by taking out a sqrt(3). Giving you

[itex]\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{3} \sqrt{\frac{x^2}{3}+1}}[/itex]

Set the constant outside the integral.

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{3}+1}}[/itex]

Now we find where [itex]u^2 = \frac{x^2}{3}[/itex] , which is [itex]u = \frac{x}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]. Now we know the u of the sinh-1, we find u'

[itex]u' = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]So now we taken care of everything but x^2...

Where to go now?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) is in the answer, but there is still a multiplication between x^2 and the the sin so more needs to be done.

I can't just have

(1/3)x^3 * sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) + c

because the product rule states uv' + u'v, if it was as easy as u'v' then it would work.
 
ParoXsitiC said:
I know that the sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) is in the answer, but there is still a multiplication between x^2 and the the sin so more needs to be done.

I can't just have

(1/3)x^3 * sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) + c

because the product rule states uv' + u'v, if it was as easy as u'v' then it would work.

:confused: You have the integral

[tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx}[/tex]

after your substitutions right?? So just substitute in [itex]x=sinh(u)[/itex]
 
Micromass likes his hyperbolic functions substitutions! Perhaps just because i learned them first, I always think of trig substitutions first. Here, after taking out a [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex], you have [itex]\sqrt{1+(x/\sqrt{3})^2}[/itex] and since [itex]1+ tan^2(\theta)= sec^2(\theta)[/itex] I would let [itex]x= \sqrt{3}tan(\theta)[/itex].

Of course, then, the [itex]x^2[/itex] in the numerator becomes [itex]3tan^2(\theta)[/itex]
 
[itex]\sqrt{1+(x/\sqrt{3})^2}[/itex]

Shouldnt that be 3 not sqrt(3)

I still don't get it. I need more of a step by step. coming to the solution wolfgram comes to:

Image%202011-09-06%20at%208.06.47%20PM.png


I see how you decided what x is, but I don't see how they decided what u was.
 
ParoXsitiC said:
[itex]\sqrt{1+(x/\sqrt{3})^2}[/itex]

Shouldnt that be 3 not sqrt(3)
No, it shouldn't. Notice the parentheses. Both x and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are squared.

I still don't get it. I need more of a step by step. coming to the solution wolfgram comes to:

Image%202011-09-06%20at%208.06.47%20PM.png


I see how you decided what x is, but I don't see how they decided what u was.
The crucial point is that you have [itex]\sqrt{1+ a^2}[/itex] and want to get rid of the square root. You should immediately think of the trig identity [itex]1+ tan^2\theta= sec^2\theta[/itex].