How Do You Prove the Integral of x from a to b Using Riemann Sums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter autodidude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
autodidude
Messages
332
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Original problem asked me to prove [tex]\int_a^b \! x \, \mathrm{d} x = \frac{b^2-a^2}{2}[/tex] using Riemann sums. I've already seen a simpler formula using the left side of the rectangles but I'm curious as to how you would manipulate the formula below by hand to get the answer

Homework Equations



[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{i=1}^{n}[\frac{(b-a)i}{n}+a][\frac{b-a}{n}][/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


pages and pages of algebra leading nowhere!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can write that thing into
[tex]I = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} [\frac{(b-a)i}{n}+a](\frac{b-a}{n}) <br /> = a(b-a) \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n} + (b-a)^2 \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{i}{n^2}[/tex]
Now, can you evaluate the sums and then take the limits?
 
Could you please explain how you got that?

I'm not exactly sure how to evaluate the last limit/sum but does everything else evaluate to just [tex]a(b-a)+(b-a)^2[/tex]?
 
autodidude said:
Could you please explain how you got that?

I'm not exactly sure how to evaluate the last limit/sum but does everything else evaluate to just [tex]a(b-a)+(b-a)^2[/tex]?
No, it doesn't. What are [itex]\sum\frac{1}{n}[/itex] and [itex]\sum\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex]?
 
I don't know - the only way I know how to interpret the first one right now is to divide 1 into n parts but then I'm not sure what to do so it becomes an infinitely small number if n->infinity. I guess it would be the same for the second one but it gets smaller faster
 
autodidude said:
Could you please explain how you got that?

I'm not exactly sure how to evaluate the last limit/sum but does everything else evaluate to just [tex]a(b-a)+(b-a)^2[/tex]?

The first sum evaluates to 1 but the second does not. http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/gausss-day-of-reckoning/ might help.
 
consider this instead...[itex]I_{n} = \sum_{i=0}^{n} [\frac{(b-a)i}{n}+a](\frac{b-a}{n}) <br /> = \frac{a(b-a)}{n} \sum_{i=0}^{n} 1 + \frac{(b-a)^2}{n^2} \sum_{i=0}^{n} i[/itex]
now we know adding 1 n times... is n, how about adding numbers from 1 to n? know any relevant formulas for that?
once you simplify the expression to only relying on n, take the limit of [itex]I_n[/itex] as n goes to infinity
you have to remember, your sums arent over n, they are over i, so n can be take out front
 
I'm quite sure the formula is [tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

I tried subbing that in and after some algebra, I've got this:

[tex]\frac{(b-a)^2}{2}+\frac{b^2-a^2}{2n}[/tex]

Am I on the right track?

Also, when you write the sigmas out without the limits, does n just become some arbitrary integer? And is there any difference between writing a sigma with infinity on top and writing sigma with an n but with lim(h->infinity)?
 
autodidude said:
I'm quite sure the formula is [tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

I tried subbing that in and after some algebra, I've got this:

[tex]\frac{(b-a)^2}{2}+\frac{b^2-a^2}{2n}[/tex]

Am I on the right track?

Yeah except you of course should have b2-a2, not (b-a)2. Then just take limit n→∞.

autodidude said:
Also, when you write the sigmas out without the limits, does n just become some arbitrary integer? And is there any difference between writing a sigma with infinity on top and writing sigma with an n but with lim(h->infinity)?

Infinite sums are always defined as that limit so there's no worries there. You want to find the n:th partial sum, and then take the limit.