How do you prove the relationship involving the Dirac Hamiltonian and matrices?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
LagrangeEuler
Messages
711
Reaction score
22

Homework Statement


Matrices
##\alpha_k=\gamma^0 \gamma^k##, ##\beta=\gamma^0## and ##\alpha_5=\alpha_1\alpha_2\alpha_3 \beta##. If we know that for Dirac Hamiltonian
[tex]H_D\psi(x)=E \psi(x)[/tex]
then show that
[tex]\alpha_5 \psi(x)=-E \psi(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to multiply Gamma matrices from wikipedia link, but I am not sure how to work with that od the state ##\psi(x)##? How to write that as column vector? I am not sure what to do here?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From which book is this problem? Should it be proved for a specific basis for the gamma matrices or in general? You can e.g. write the four vector in the form ##\psi=\begin{pmatrix}\xi \\ \chi \end{pmatrix}##, where ##\xi## and ##\chi## are column vectors (containing to two elements).