1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a Noether current from Dirac Equation

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys,
    Consider the U(1) transformations
    [itex] \psi'=e^{i\alpha\gamma^{5}}\psi [/itex] and [itex] \bar{\psi}'=\bar{\psi}e^{i\alpha\gamma^{5}} [/itex] of the Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L}=\bar{\psi}(i\partial_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}-m)\psi[/itex].

I am meant to find the expression for [itex]\partial_{\mu}J^{\mu}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Gamma matrices anticommute
    Noether current is [itex] \delta J^{\mu}=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\delta\psi+\delta x \mathcal{L} [/itex]
    not sure of anything else...

3. The attempt at a solution
    So here's what I've done so far. Since its a U(1) transformation, the coordinates arent changing, so the Noether current is given by [itex] \delta J^{\mu}=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\psi)}\delta\psi [/itex]. I found that [itex]\delta\psi=i\alpha\gamma^{5}\psi[/itex], so that

[itex]\delta J^{\mu}=-\bar{\psi}\alpha\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi[/itex], then I drop the infinitesimal parameter to get
    [itex]J^{\mu}=-\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi[/itex].

So the next step is to calculate the derivative of this. Doing so, I get

[itex]\partial_{\mu}J^{\mu}=-(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi+\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\partial_{\mu}\psi)[/itex]

And at this point im stuck...im not sure if this is right and/or if I can simplify this or do something neat with it? because I think I'm meant to be using the transformed Lagrangian
    [itex]\mathcal{L}'=i\bar{\psi}\partial_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}\psi-m\bar{\psi}e^{2i\alpha\gamma^{5}}\psi[/itex]
    for something but I dont really know.

Thanks guys..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What equations of motion do you have?

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    I think its just the equations of motion from the untransformed Lagrangian, which are:
    [itex](i\partial_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}-m)\psi=0[/itex]
    and
    [itex]i(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}+m\bar{\psi}=0[/itex]

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So I suggest using those. :)

6. Nov 25, 2014 #5
    I thought of that but I'm not sure if I can use these because I'm considering the transformed Lagrangian...and the above transformations arent a symmetry unless m = 0. So how can I use these equations of motion?

7. Nov 25, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The fields will follow their equations of motion. Had the transformation of the fields been a symmetry of the Lagrangian, the divergence of the current would be zero. Since it is not, you will simply get a non-zero expression if you anyway chose to write down the current that would be conserved if the symmetry breaking parameter was zero.

8. Nov 25, 2014 #7
    I see...so I guess Im doing it wrong? I mean I've found the equations of motion from the transformed Lagrangian
    [itex](i\partial_{\mu}\gamma^{\mu}- m e^{2i\alpha\gamma^{5}})\psi=0[/itex]
    and
    [itex]i \partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}+m\bar{\psi}e^{2i\alpha\gamma^{5}}=0[/itex]

and now I'm trying to use THESE inside my expression for [itex]\partial_{\mu}J^{\mu}[/itex]. I guess you're saying to just use the orignals I posted in post #3?

9. Nov 25, 2014 #8
    I get a nonzero answer either way but I'm not sure which one is right...:(

10. Nov 25, 2014 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this willbe the divergence of the current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted