How do you rationalize fractions

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rational numbers and rationalizing fractions. It is also noted that the term "realizing" a fraction can have different meanings depending on the context.
afcwestwarrior
how do you do that

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fractions are already rational. Here's what "rational" means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_number"

Last edited by a moderator:
eccefeles said:
Fractions are already rational. Here's what "rational" means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_number"

Incorrect!
A "fraction" is a real number that is written as the product of one real number a (called the "numerator"), and the multiplicative inverse of a real (non-zero) number b (called the denominator).

To "rationalize" a fraction means to rewrite the denominator as a natural number, if possible.

Example:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}*1=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}*\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this have to do with calculus? I am moving it to "General Math".

I've never heard of "realizing" a fraction! What language is that translated from? However, I will agree that one does not rationalize fractions!
The example arildno gave was rationalizing the denominator of a fraction. There are also times when one would want to rationalize the numerator of a fraction. In general, it is not possible to rationalize both numerator and denominator at the same time.

I've never heard of "realizing" a fraction! What language is that translated from?

My apologies! I've made a big fool of myself once again. I was thinking about "realising" as in making the denominator of a fraction (containing complex numbers) real! (I was taught this term back in high school, here in Australia.) arildno and Hallsofivy are absolutely correct.

I'm really sorry for wasting everyone's time. I think I should go back to lurking. :blushing:

HallsofIvy said:
I've never heard of "realizing" a fraction! What language is that translated from? However, I will agree that one does not rationalize fractions!
The example arildno gave was rationalizing the denominator of a fraction. There are also times when one would want to rationalize the numerator of a fraction. In general, it is not possible to rationalize both numerator and denominator at the same time.

I stand corrected.

eccefeles said:
My apologies! I've made a big fool of myself once again. I was thinking about "realising" as in making the denominator of a fraction (containing complex numbers) real! (I was taught this term back in high school, here in Australia.) arildno and Hallsofivy are absolutely correct.

I'm really sorry for wasting everyone's time. I think I should go back to lurking. :blushing:

"realizing"! I like that. Reminds me of when, in an algebra class, we were learning about 'adding' an identity to a semigroup (to make it a monoid) and we had quite an argument about what the process should be called.

Suggestions were "unification", "one-ification" and "identification"!

What is the definition of rationalizing fractions?

Rationalizing fractions is the process of simplifying a fraction by removing any radical expressions from the denominator.

Why do we need to rationalize fractions?

Rationalizing fractions is important because it allows us to manipulate and compare fractions more easily. Rationalizing also helps us to write fractions in their simplest form.

How do you rationalize a fraction with a radical in the denominator?

To rationalize a fraction with a radical in the denominator, you multiply both the numerator and denominator by a form of 1 that eliminates the radical in the denominator. This can be done by multiplying the fraction by its conjugate, which is the same expression but with the opposite sign between the terms.

Can all fractions be rationalized?

No, not all fractions can be rationalized. Only fractions with radicals in the denominator can be rationalized. Fractions with irrational numbers, such as pi or e, cannot be rationalized.

What are the steps for rationalizing a fraction?

The steps for rationalizing a fraction are as follows:

1. Multiply both the numerator and denominator by a form of 1 that eliminates the radical in the denominator.
  2. Simplify the resulting fraction, if possible.
  3. If the radical is still in the denominator, repeat the first step until it is eliminated.