1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you tell which schools are well-regarded in particular subfields?

1. Feb 24, 2006 #1
    Just as the title says. Everyone tells me when deciding which schools to apply to, I should look at what kind of research the faculty members are doing and if any of them interest me. While I agree that this would be the first thing to do, I don't believe one is able to tell (as an undergrad) if the research they are describing is really making any impact in the field just by reading research descriptions. I mean, who is going to describe their research as if it is not important or well-regarded in the field? How do people go about this? I've heard someone say you need to ask the professors at your school about their opinions on different schools, but my school doesn't have anyone specializing in the field of my interest. Can anyone offer an advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2

THere is some publication listing grad programs that should be relevant...i forget what it is offhand (just a second year).

4. Feb 24, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Unless I imagined the whole thing, Chronicles of Higher Education used to have a ranking of different areas of physics. This periodical should be available at most large libraries. You just have to figure out which issue they do this reporting.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?