How do you tell which schools are well-regarded in particular subfields?

• Schools
  • Thread starter phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, people should look at the research the faculty are doing and if it interests them. If the research is well-regarded, the professor should be able to describe it well. Someone should be able to offer advice on how to ask the professors at the school about their opinions on different schools.
phun
Just as the title says. Everyone tells me when deciding which schools to apply to, I should look at what kind of research the faculty members are doing and if any of them interest me. While I agree that this would be the first thing to do, I don't believe one is able to tell (as an undergrad) if the research they are describing is really making any impact in the field just by reading research descriptions. I mean, who is going to describe their research as if it is not important or well-regarded in the field? How do people go about this? I've heard someone say you need to ask the professors at your school about their opinions on different schools, but my school doesn't have anyone specializing in the field of my interest. Can anyone offer an advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
phun said:
Just as the title says. Everyone tells me when deciding which schools to apply to, I should look at what kind of research the faculty members are doing and if any of them interest me. While I agree that this would be the first thing to do, I don't believe one is able to tell (as an undergrad) if the research they are describing is really making any impact in the field just by reading research descriptions. I mean, who is going to describe their research as if it is not important or well-regarded in the field? How do people go about this? I've heard someone say you need to ask the professors at your school about their opinions on different schools, but my school doesn't have anyone specializing in the field of my interest. Can anyone offer some advice?

THere is some publication listing grad programs that should be relevant...i forget what it is offhand (just a second year).

Unless I imagined the whole thing, Chronicles of Higher Education used to have a ranking of different areas of physics. This periodical should be available at most large libraries. You just have to figure out which issue they do this reporting.

Zz.

1. How do you determine a school's reputation in a certain subfield?

To determine a school's reputation in a specific subfield, it is important to consider several factors such as the quality of research being conducted, the faculty's expertise and publications, the success of alumni in the field, and the resources and facilities available for studying the subfield. You can also look at rankings and reviews from reputable sources, such as academic journals and professional organizations.

2. Are there specific metrics or measures used to determine a school's standing in a subfield?

There are various metrics and measures that can be used to determine a school's standing in a subfield, including the number of publications and citations, research funding, awards and accolades received, and the impact of the school's research on the field. However, it is important to note that these measures may not always accurately reflect a school's reputation in a specific subfield.

3. Can a school be highly regarded in one subfield but not in another?

Yes, it is possible for a school to have a strong reputation in one subfield but not in another. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as the expertise and focus of the faculty, the availability of resources and funding, and the overall culture and priorities of the school. It is important to consider a school's reputation in a specific subfield rather than its overall ranking when evaluating its strengths and weaknesses.

4. How can I find information about a school's reputation in a particular subfield?

There are several ways to find information about a school's reputation in a particular subfield. You can start by researching the faculty's expertise and publications, as well as the school's research centers and collaborations related to the subfield. You can also reach out to professionals and experts in the field for their insights and recommendations. Additionally, rankings and reviews from reputable sources can also provide valuable information.

5. Is a school's reputation in a subfield important when considering graduate programs?

Yes, a school's reputation in a subfield can be an important factor to consider when choosing a graduate program. A strong reputation in a specific subfield can indicate that the school has a well-established and competitive program, with resources and opportunities that can enhance your learning and research experiences. It can also provide valuable networking and career opportunities with professionals and experts in the subfield.