How do you work out the phase difference between 2 waves?

In summary, a superposition is the addition of two waves of the same frequency, where one is shifted over by a phase shift (represented by θ). The method for finding θ can vary depending on the situation and can be determined geometrically by looking at the relationship between the two waves.
George321
The title is all i want to know really.

Any help much appreciated
Also, what is a superposition pattern?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it really depends on what you are able to measure.
But basically, if you have two waves of the same frequency, let's say one is sin(t) and one gets shifted over (think of it visually) then this shift can be represented by an additional term like so sin(t+θ).
So, θ is the "phase shift" you are looking for (in radians).
But like I said, the way this is done depends (at least I think it does) on the situation, because I can think of two different ways to do it. One would use the time (or whatever the independent variable is) difference between the two waves. The other method would use a ratio of the displacements at a certain point. Just draw the two waves and see if you can figure out how to find θ geometrically from what you know.

A superposition is like adding the two waves. For example, using the above wave and it's shifted wave the function for the superposition between the two would be:
superposition = sin(t) + sin(t+θ)

1. How do you measure the phase difference between 2 waves?

The phase difference between 2 waves can be measured by finding the time delay between corresponding points on the two waves. This can be done using a oscilloscope or by analyzing the waveforms using mathematical techniques.

2. Can the phase difference between 2 waves be negative?

Yes, the phase difference between 2 waves can be negative. This indicates that one wave is lagging behind the other in terms of time or that they are moving in opposite directions.

3. What is the unit of measurement for phase difference?

The unit of measurement for phase difference is degrees or radians. This represents the angular difference between the two waves at a given point in time.

4. How does frequency affect the phase difference between 2 waves?

The frequency of the waves does not directly affect the phase difference between them. However, if the two waves have different frequencies, the phase difference will change over time as they go through their respective cycles.

5. Can the phase difference between 2 waves be constant?

Yes, the phase difference between 2 waves can be constant. This would indicate that the two waves have a fixed time delay between them, and their phase difference does not change over time.