How does a bandstop filter work?

In summary, a bandstop filter works by combining a low pass filter and a high pass filter in parallel. This creates a frequency-selective resistor that allows low and high frequencies to pass through easily, while midband frequencies are attenuated. The passbands of the filters need to be carefully designed to ensure that there is a range of frequencies where both filters attenuate. The explanation provided is a general one and may not be exactly how the circuit is arranged.
liam1992
I was wondering how a bandstop filter works when it is connected in parallel as in the picture.

IMG_20120411_195803.jpg

I know that the low pass filter eliminates higher frequencies and the high pass filter eliminates the lower frequencies. I understand how they form a bandpass filter when connected in series but I can't seem to figure out how they create a bandstop filter in parallel.

Physics news on Phys.org
liam1992 said:
I was wondering how a bandstop filter works when it is connected in parallel as in the picture.
I think you mean "I was wondering how a bandstop filter works when a LP filter is connected in parallel with a HP filter as in the picture."

You could think of each as a frequency-selective resistor, so it's just a pair of resistors in parallel. The low frequencies find an easy path through "Resistor" A, and the high frequencies find an easy path via "Resistor" B. Midband frequencies find both paths difficult so not much of them pass through. :smile:

Of course, for this to work you take care in designing the filters' passbands, because you'll be needing a band of frequencies where both filters attenuate.

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gif So does this mean we do, or we do not, require for the passbands of the LP and the HP filter to share some overlap?

Note, this explanation is a general explanation, and is not exactly how your circuit is arranged, but you should be able to see the difference.

P.S. what color do you see that first line in my post? I specified light brown, but I see green here.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a bandstop filter work?

A bandstop filter, also known as a notch filter, is a type of electronic filter that attenuates or blocks a specific range of frequencies while allowing all other frequencies to pass through. This is achieved by using a combination of capacitors and inductors to create a notch or dip in the frequency response curve, effectively reducing the strength of the signal at the desired frequency.

2. What is the purpose of a bandstop filter?

The purpose of a bandstop filter is to eliminate or reduce unwanted frequencies from a signal. This can be useful in applications such as audio processing, communication systems, and scientific instruments where specific frequencies need to be filtered out to prevent interference or noise.

3. How does a bandstop filter differ from a high-pass or low-pass filter?

A high-pass filter allows high frequencies to pass through while attenuating low frequencies, and a low-pass filter does the opposite. A bandstop filter, on the other hand, allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating all other frequencies. It is essentially a combination of a high-pass and low-pass filter.

4. Can a bandstop filter be adjusted to target different frequencies?

Yes, the frequency that a bandstop filter targets can be adjusted by changing the values of the capacitors and inductors used in its design. This allows for a customizable and versatile filtering solution for different applications.

5. What are the advantages of using a bandstop filter?

One of the main advantages of a bandstop filter is its ability to target specific frequencies, allowing for precise filtering and elimination of unwanted signals. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive to design and implement, making it a popular choice for various electronic applications.