How does a FTIR machine operate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of an interferometer and its ability to create interference patterns in a broadband spectrum. The speaker is seeking clarification on how the detector receives information, and how the interferometer can sample the entire spectrum simultaneously. They also question the purpose of the laser in the FTIR machine and express difficulty understanding some concepts. The expert summarizer explains that frequency is not affected by interference and the FTIR spectrometer uses a Michelson interferometer to convert the intensity of radiation into an interferogram. The laser is used for optical alignment.
physical101
I know the basics about the interferometer and how this causes intereference patterns in a broadband spectrum to occur but I need to clarify a few things and I can't find the answer in any textbook:

1. The detector receives information on the intensity of radiation being received and I have often read about the interferometer being able to simutaneousily sample the entire broadband spectrum range - I don't really understand this because when the waves interfere will there not being one resultant frequency at a particular wavelength?
2 Is the laser in the FTIR machine there present for calibration purposes?

Please help if you can, I am finding it quite hard to get around some concepts
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand this because when the waves interfere will there not being one resultant frequency at a particular wavelength?
Frequency is the property of the source. The interference does no affect the source.
So there is no resultant frequency in the interference pattern.

The FTIR spectrometer works with a Michelson interferometer. It has a moving mirror and the intensity of the radiation of a broad-band source is converted to the interferogram - resultant intensity of the interfering rays coming from two arms one with constant length, the other with a length x(t) changing in time. One frequency in the spectrum corresponds to a sine wave in x or t. The interferogram and the original spectrum are Fourier transforms of each other.

The laser in the apparatus is for the optical alignment.

ehild

1. What is FTIR and how does it work?

FTIR, or Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, is an analytical technique used to identify and quantify the chemical composition of a sample. It works by passing infrared light through a sample and measuring the amount of light absorbed at different frequencies, which can then be used to identify the types of chemical bonds present in the sample.

2. What kind of samples can be analyzed with a FTIR machine?

A FTIR machine can analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. It can be used to analyze organic and inorganic compounds, as well as biological samples.

3. How is a FTIR machine different from other spectroscopic techniques?

FTIR is a type of infrared spectroscopy, which uses light in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. It differs from other spectroscopic techniques, such as UV-Vis or NMR, in the type of light used and the way the data is collected and processed.

4. What are the advantages of using a FTIR machine?

One of the main advantages of FTIR is its ability to analyze a wide range of samples with minimal sample preparation. It is also a non-destructive technique, meaning the sample remains intact after analysis. FTIR also provides highly accurate and reproducible results, making it a valuable tool in research and analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using a FTIR machine?

FTIR is limited in its ability to analyze samples with overlapping spectra, as it relies on the measurement of light absorption at specific frequencies. It may also have difficulties analyzing samples with very low concentrations of certain compounds. Additionally, FTIR is not suitable for analyzing samples with high water content, as water strongly absorbs infrared light.