1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How does a FTIR machine operate?

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    I know the basics about the interferometer and how this causes intereference patterns in a broadband spectrum to occur but I need to clarify a few things and I cant find the answer in any text book:

1. The detector recieves information on the intensity of radiation being recieved and I have often read about the interferometer being able to simutaneousily sample the entire broadband spectrum range - I dont really understand this because when the waves interfere will there not being one resultant frequency at a particular wavelength?
    2 Is the lazer in the FTIR machine there present for calibration purposes?

Please help if you can, I am finding it quite hard to get around some concepts
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

I dont really understand this because when the waves interfere will there not being one resultant frequency at a particular wavelength?
    Frequency is the property of the source. The interference does no affect the source.
    So there is no resultant frequency in the interference pattern.

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper

The FTIR spectrometer works with a Michelson interferometer. It has a moving mirror and the intensity of the radiation of a broad-band source is converted to the interferogram - resultant intensity of the interfering rays coming from two arms one with constant length, the other with a length x(t) changing in time. One frequency in the spectrum corresponds to a sine wave in x or t. The interferogram and the original spectrum are Fourier transforms of each other.

The laser in the apparatus is for the optical alignment.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook