How does a magnetic field affect the decay of a meson into charged pions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mt948434
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


hello everybody I am new too these forums and am looking for a little help on a problem. I don't want anyone to give me the answer so i will just post the basic question and any help would be appreciated.

If an uncharged meson decays into two charged pions in the presence of a magnetic field. If the mass of a pion, magnitude of the magnetic field and the radius of the pions path are all known, I need to find the pions momenta and speed, as well as the mass of the meson.

thanks for any help!


Homework Equations


conservation of reletivistic momentum and energy

E=gamma mc^2 p=gamma mv

a=v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution



I am a little lost on how to get started on the question. I wrote out the equations for conservation of momentum and energy, but am a little confused on how to integrate the magnetic field and circular motion parts of the question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field would affect the motion of the charged particles, essentially causing them to have circular motion--perhaps helical motion depending on the resulting momenta and magnetic field direction. This equation may help

[tex]\vec{F} = q\vec{v}\times\vec{B} = qvBsin\theta[/tex]